I've learned a lot!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Shouldn't be a problem. That car is all fiberglass, so you won't have a rust problem.
Real bummer though. Definitley will give you time to double, triple and quadriple check everything...until you start going nuts :freak:

I rent out my booth occasionally including optional SATA gun rental (Tampa, Clearwater, St Pete area). "possibly" someone has a local booth rental avail.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Shouldn't be a problem. That car is all fiberglass, so you won't have a rust problem.
Real bummer though. Definitley will give you time to double, triple and quadriple check everything...until you start going nuts :freak:

I rent out my booth occasionally including optional SATA gun rental (Tampa, Clearwater, St Pete area). "possibly" someone has a local booth rental avail.

dallas_

Haha... got that right!

Wish I was closer, I would surely take you up on that! I've tried to find a local shop to do that with no luck at all.

jannypan

Great to hear you've leaned a lot, and yes, when you are dealing with fiberglass, and you want it right, you will be doing a lot of blocking to get it straight.

dallas_

Got the booth rescheduled for mid September, so willl have to wait until then to spray.

But the engine came in, so that will give us something to do while we wait. Well, maybe when it cools off. 110 yesterday and it was our 33rd day in a row over 100 so haven't spent much time in the garage lately.

BOSS_427_005a.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
WHOOOOA, look at that bad motor. Ye haw!!!! No wonder it's hot in TX.
Everything's BIG (and hot) in TX.
Sure you can't wait to get it painted!!!!

dallas_

Sure you can't wait to get it painted!!!!

Yes, we are ready to 'git er done'.

We're considering a red with some metallic and pearl. I'm a bit concerned about getting even coverage to avoid tiger striping, especially since these bodies have a lot of curved areas.

When I sprayed the primer coats I tried to keep the lines pretty straight, but ended up 'following the curves' around the fenders, front and back ends. This ends up not laying the paint on in a straight line and makes the overlap different in different areas of the body.

What's the best way to get even overlap on a body with this much curved surface?

Wydir

Do you have a test panel to paint with the color you will be painting the car? If so just practice on the test panel and you will need to overlap your previous pass by 75-80% this helps eliminate striping also you need to stay the same distance away from the panel no matter what and the same spraying speed also.
This all sounds harder than it is. You can always do your first coat with the panel then the second coat at an angle then third coat with the panel again(these are solvent tricks ) if you are using a waterbourne paint you can just spray with the 75% overlap and on the last coat you will turn the air pressure down on the gun by 5-8PSI and move the spray distance back to 8-10 inches and do a Dropcoat to orientate the metallics.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, I'm sure your anxious.
Like Wydir said, keep the same distance from the surface.
Be smooth and move fairly slowly, BUT do not put the paint on wet, and do not put if on dry. Follow the curves, don't be so systematic.
Keep a fairly low pressure to. I get on my painter at work because he uses so much pressure. We could spray the same car (for instance yours), and he would use a 3-4 quarts un-reduced and I would use 2-3 (exterior of car). Makes a big difference, not only on material usage, but the way it goes on.

Also if you decide on something like a medium red pearl, I would suggest using a medium solid gray sealer, wet on wet, which means, spray the sealer, then spray the base right over that (no sanding in between). Let me know what color you decide on.

dallas_

Keep a fairly low pressure to. I get on my painter at work because he uses so much pressure. We could spray the same car (for instance yours), and he would use a 3-4 quarts un-reduced and I would use 2-3 (exterior of car). Makes a big difference, not only on material usage, but the way it goes on.

Thanks for the tips. Especially after I priced the red! :eek:

Wydir

reds are some of the most expensive paints (as you found out) what brand of paint are you getting? Color Code ? I mix PPG if ya need anything or just help with pricing

Wydir

That is a tricoat paint needs a red base and a pearl midcoat PPG retail cost is 127.00 a quart from me = 108 a quart

depending on how its sprayed you may need 3 quarts of base and only 2 quarts of midcoat

you may get away with 2quarts of each tho

dallas_

Thanks. I'm looking at some other reds too. I'd prefer not to do a tricoat, but I do like that red.

Wydir

well I just spent an hour looking at reds and I must say that 3R1 is amazing nothing else like it in the decks, Next one close to it is a Ford Fire Red code G2 to bad its like $271 a quart (on the bright side its just a basecoat) :)

You can get the 3R1 in Envirobase as a basecoat its 200.00 a quart

Last edited:

dallas_

You can get the 3R1 in Envirobase as a basecoat

Thanks for checking this. So this would be the same red but not a tricoat?

Sounds like it would be easier to apply if that is the case, but I really don't know anything about the water based paints.

Wydir

Well since you said you were going to a votech college to use there booth and are learning to spray why not use waterborne paint .

Correct the Enviro is just a Basecoat of the same color will look the same, (although it can be sprayed as a tricoat in Enviro also).

You would have to get a sample ounce or two to see what it will look like just to be sure.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Well since you said you were going to a votech college to use there booth and are learning to spray why not use waterborne paint .

Correct the Enviro is just a Basecoat of the same color will look the same, (although it can be sprayed as a tricoat in Enviro also).

You would have to get a sample ounce or two to see what it will look like just to be sure.

I haven't sprayed the waterborne yet? I'm sure FL is right around the corner to making this mandatory!

dallas_

What did you come up with? About $500-$650 a gallon?

Yeah, almost $800 a gallon for that red. Got a bit of sticker shock on that!
I'm looking at other options, but I sure do like that red.

If gives me a bit of extra stress though, not to screw it up and have to re-do it.

I'll have to check with the school to see what they think about the waterborne paint. The tech sheets recommend separate cleanup areas but I don't know if that is necessary or just recommended.

I think you are right about this being the direction the EPA is going. It sounds like it's already the way of life in California.

Last edited: