I've learned a lot!

dallas_

Welcome to the forum Dallas.
Hope you find some usefull threads/posts.

Your participation is welcomed!

Yes, I've learned a lot, thanks to all who take the time to share their knowledge.
Thanks to you guys my sons and I decided to tackle the bodywork/paint on our Cobra replica.
Slick_Sand_020a.jpgFirst coat of high build primer. Block sanding now (and it feels like we'll be doing that for a while!)

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear you've leaned a lot, and yes, when you are dealing with fiberglass, and you want it right, you will be doing a lot of blocking to get it straight.
What color(s) did you decide on going with?

dallas_

What color(s) did you decide on going with?

Leaning toward red, but have changed my mind several times already, so that's not set in stone.

I like the traditional blue/white stripes but there are already a few around here with that combo and we kind of want to be a little different.

tomsteve

the cobras have always been my favorite car. great work. i think red with a white stripe would be pretty sweet. so, whats the power plant?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Can't go wrong with 'red'.
I just got a quart of "Outrageous" Red (brand name), and can't believe how bright and how cheap it was!!!

dallas_

ok, have a question on getting the primer to lay down smoother.

Using Evercoat Slick Sand, have a Vapor gun with a 2.2 tip, adding 5% acetone (instructions say can add up to 10%).
80 gallon compressor 20 cfm, 50' 1/2" hose to a 3 stage filter/dryer, then 3/8" hose to the gun, so I think air is good.

The primer is going on rougher than I would like. It's not really orange peel, more like sandpapery (is that a word?).

Before spraying, I'm setting the spray pattern so I have about a 6" fan pattern 8" from the tip and trying to get as much paint as possible without getting runs.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I would say it's a matter of just not putting the material on wet enough.
Hold your primer gun closer to the surface and move slower, so if this gets you better results.

Most likely you are either holding the gun too far away from the surface or you have too high of air pressure, Or both of these.

dallas_

Hold your primer gun closer to the surface and move slower, so if this gets you better results.

Most likely you are either holding the gun too far away from the surface or you have too high of air pressure, Or both of these.

I'll try it with a little lower air pressure. I think I'm pretty consistently about 7" from the surface which is what they recommend for this primer.
I know I've been a little fast across in some spots, so I need to get better at keeping it wet enough.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I need to get better at this before I spray the color and clear. Nice that I can practice on stuff I can sand off.
The booth we'll be using for color and clear has Sata guns so that should help when we get to that step.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Try to not only keep an eye on where you are going, but pay extra attention to where you've already been.
In other words, look at the surface directly behind the primer gun when you are applying primer.
The same goes with painting basecoat, clearcoat, and even single stage paints.

dallas_

TAZ,
I lowered the air pressure and got much better results.
Thanks!
John

dallas_

Try to not only keep an eye on where you are going, but pay extra attention to where you've already been.
In other words, look at the surface directly behind the primer gun when you are applying primer.
The same goes with painting basecoat, clearcoat, and even single stage paints.

Thanks for another good bit of advice.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear. Having a nice solid uniform primer coats sure make it a ton easier to sand.

Be sure and 'guide' coat your primer if you are getting ready to block it out.
I normally just use a spray can if you are doing smaller areas. If you are doing big areas like the side of a car, or even a complete car, I mix up about 95 percent lacquer thinner and 5% normal black basecoat. Then I put a light coat of this over the panels that have to be blocked.

dallas_

Having a nice solid uniform primer coats sure make it a ton easier to sand.

Be sure and 'guide' coat your primer if you are getting ready to block it out.

Amen to that.

Sprayed the guide coat and am close to finished with the block sanding up to 180 grit.
Will that be smooth enough to spray the primer/sealer before the base coats?

Planning to wet sand the primer/sealer to 600, then do color.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
We normally use 320 (if you are going a solid color). Then we use the 'sealer' as a sealer. No sanding involved. Then spray the base directly over that.
If you are going a metallic color, we normally 320 over the 180, then we run some 600 dry over it. You could go 600 wet if you wanted to. This helps get all the dust off if you wetsand.

dallas_

Thanks TAZ. That's what we'll do.

Ok, another question and opinions wanted:

We're thinking of dark stripes (since light colored stripes create a distracting reflection on the inside of the windshield).

Stripe Glare.jpg

I would prefer to spray the stripe color first, then tape them off and spray the color.

How much does the primer color affect the base coat color?

I'm thinking black primer so there won't be much color difference between the stripe and the primer. Another reason for black primer is because I need to recoat the underside of the body in black anyway.

Good or bad idea, or does it matter?

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you are getting close to painting!! Good to hear.
I re-read the thread and I really didn't get an idea of what you were painting your Cobra. I saw what you did not want, but not what you wanted.
Let me know, I'll give you my opinion on what I would do.

dallas_

Thinking of red with dark charcoal stripes.
Looking for the right red. Not tomato, something darker, but not maroon. Saw a Jaguar with the color I like, but didn't get the make and year.