Murals and Photo Transfer Paper

NightShiftX

I don't know if this is common trick or kinda cheating.But I did a terrific mural job that was impossible to do otherwise.
First I downloaded a high resolution art work from internet.Then I printed the art work on Kodak Inkjet Photo Transfer paper.Then I tarnsferred the art work to a bike fender by using a hair dryer.Then I sprayed a thin coat of clear.Later,I wet sanded the clear and highlighted as much possible area of the grafic with my finest tip airbrush and then did the regular finishing works.
Cheating or not,it worked out great.It looks terrific.Hope it's no big sin
haha.gif

D

DenB.

VERY CLEVER!! JUST DON'T TELL ANYONE ELSE AND WE WON'T TELL EITHER LOL
agree.gif

flamethrower

Come on Shifty,
let's see the pic! It sounds great to me. You know, I always wanted to be a greast artiste! But my momma raised a great lover instead. Dang it.

If there's a way to transfer great art without the actual having to "do" great art, I'm interested. Please put up a pic and get a little more specific on technique.

Thanks.
cheers.gif

FT

B

big stinkie

If it works, do it. The idea is to end up with a nice looking bike (car, truck, boat, mailbox, etc.) That isn't called cheating...it's called a cool trick...which I'm going to go home and try right away.

Andy aka Big Stinkie

T

TWISTED

I have seen people put actual pictures under the clear. If it works then I don't see any problems with it.
The clear has UV protection so that should help keep it from fading. I'd like to see the pics.

D

DenB.

i think what they're talking about it using the regular photo paper. there's a way to do , and of all places i saw it one one show on HGTV Carol Duval and you can put the photo paper in a solution that is water based for a few minutes and the top layer can be removed with the photo intact and apply it to what ever substrate you want the clear over it. ill look into it further and let ya know

NightShiftX

Blaino,that's what I used.Kodak Inkjet Photo Transfer Paper.Kodak suggests it for transfering the pics on T-Shirts. But I found out you can do the transfer on painted metal or plastics too.
The only trick is,you must use a hairdryer instead of a household iron.I heated up the paper 3 minutes,hairdryer nozzle almost touching the surface.
Unfortunately I didn't take the pic of first job.But I will do another job within a week and
take pic this time.

nooshie

Nightshift, That is really a cool idea. I have seen done on fabric. My wife made a quilt for her mom and used it to put picures of the grand kids on it. The results were very clear.

Nooshie

T

tcannon

There's also some stuff called water transfer paper for making decals with an ink jet printer. I forgot who sells this (some place up in PA. I think). Just search the internet for "water transfer" or "water slide decals". One of the hits I found shows a guy making decals for old model trains. TC

blaino

Thanks Nightshift,

I have a bunch of Tshirt Transfer paper. I will have to give that a go. The Hair dryer on the paint thing sound alittle scary, but I guess if you keep it moving it shouldn't hurt anything.

If you get some pic's, let us see'm.

Thanks again.

N

Nate Hansen

neat trick
but
why are you stealing other people's art work? or did you have permission?

NightShiftX

Flamethrower
I worked over solvent based acrylic base coat and had no problem at all.I beleive any base coat will be OK.Probably the only catch is the heat applied in transfer.But any well cured base should stand that much heat.

NightShiftX

Nate
Stealing...Didn't like the word.But you're right nonetheless.The figure I copied had no indication about its artist.Besides,I worked a lot over it with airbrush and added something from myself.So, I prefer to call it inspiration instead of stealing.

T

tcannon

I (and most of us) wouldn't even think about using someone elses artwork. I do think this could add some personalizing to a job. Such as applying copies of pictures taken by the customer and working them into the project. Just some ideas. TC

NightShiftX

I'm not a professional painter.I simply love to use the air brush.I only paint some of my riding buddies' bikes.They only pay for the cost of the used material,and that's all.
On the other hand, I began to wonder what the professionals would do when a customer shows a figure and want it painted over its ride and ready to pay whatever it's worth,but a figure that nobody knows its origin?Simply turn the customer down?
If so,why do most bikes have flameworks?Don't you think painting a flamework is actually kinda copying someone else's work?
I'm not here to critisize anybody.Just wanna learn the ethics.

A

aircooled

Just a thoughtI work as a textile printer by day, and air brush artist by night. The transfer paper you used, was it a wax transfer? If so I'm curious if the wax affects the clair coat.also most home printers can't print white, so you need to use white as an underbase. Is this the case here? Just try applying some tape over the transfered design, after you claired it and see if it pulls off. Just curious if your trick will last.