American Chopper Series

T

t-boy62

I know lots of us are watching the series on Discovery Channel and we all know the dad would be an A-hole to work for but what about their bikes? I don't mean to bag on another guys work but doesn't it seem like they outsource almost the whole bike? Also, what do you think of all the extra bolt-on scrap steel that ends up on those bikes? Myself, I prefer a cleaner look. It reminds me of the south-of-the-border type pickup trucks we have running around here in So. Cal. where they go to Pep Boys and find every piece of bolt- on chrome they can get for their trucks. Finally, is Paulie Jr. a real innovator? Watch Motorcycle Mania 1 and 2 (I know Jesse is way over exposed, but he seems to have lots more original ideas) and compare the processes between the two. Just my 2 cents worth.

T-boy
cool.gif

B

BonesFX

I've watched both of those shows (a/c and jesse) and think they're great - I think Jesse out-sources alot too although he does have the CNC and his own fender/tank and frame abilities. I like the way Orange County kinda pushes the envelope with 1 off custom - some of it I dig and some of I don't - but ya gotta give Paulie credit on some of that fab work -- And I love the old man -- cracks me up!!

DaveK

Hummmm......

Not sure which way to go here. I liked the original series with Jesse and I like these as well. They both have a sense of freshness. Jesse gone overboard with Monster garage. Yes, its a cool show too but, lost its virgin appealness. Whats intresting is that I see a lot of Jesse stuff in Pauli's bikes that Jesse was doing years ago. Like the lighted spark plugs. As far as out sourcing goes, I believe they have to. but, I do believe most of it is custom made for that bike. For $150k, it better be what its made up to or the whole thing is a fake.

DaveK

D

DenB.

I can see both sides of the coin you guys are talking about. paulie at OCC is a talented guy and there's no doubt jessie is also and he's mastered the art of self promotion which is an art unto itself (just wish i could get it better). with everybody wanting to get into the bike building game it's way too easy to buy of the shelf. SO! the question is?? where are the ol' time artists gone? Has anyone come across any metal fab. sites we might start with? if youhave piont the way and i'm sure alot of people on this board will follow. If i'm rambling sorry
rolleyes.gif

D

DenB.

just a P.S. How can they justify $150K for a bike?what did they do 7weeks and metal and paint? how do ya figure that one?

T

t-boy62

Don't get me wrong, I like both shows, but when I put Jesse and Paulie side by side the winner is clear. I think the scene last night where Paulie was sketching out the tank for the fire truck bike and says he normally never draws his designs, just does them in his head is revealing. Maybe because I'm an artist I think you need to draw it before you build it so it looks right.

I understand the need to outsource, but like you said, for 150 grand, it better not be off the shelf.

D

DenB.

Think somebody's getting ripped? for $200.K you can get a bike made down south with a jet chopper engine in it jay leno has one only prob. with it if you can call it one is someone gets to close behind and you'll fry the bumpers off from the heat
haha.gif

T

t-boy62

Same reason you could never drive the Green Monster on the street. Anybody remember the Green Monster?
bigokay.gif

ezrider

Hey, if you can get a customer to spend $150,000 on a scooter all the power to you. A fool and their money are soon parted Last i heard WCC wont even talk to you unless you have $125,000 to spend.and if you have any problems with any of his parts he dosent wanna hear jack sh*t.Too many people buying his shirts and hats making him rich, dont get me wrong i have 2 fenders with his name on them made in tiawan
haha.gif
but i didnt pay any more than any one elses fenders cost

T

t-boy62

What do you think the actual cost to build one of these bikes is including labor and how much of the price is for the WCC (or OCC) name? If I figure it in my head it's not even close to half what they are getting.

Seems like I know guys who don't have the name recognition who are building bikes for 1/5th the price.

D

DenB.

outside the father and son what have they got 3-4 maybe 5 guys to payif they all spent the full 40 hours at ?$. plus materials i think you may be right ( not even close) but, like EZ. said if you can get somebody to put up that kinda cash MORE LOWER TO YA!

rex

You're definately paying for both their names,but people pay it so they keep going.Both definately have talent but I'd say Jesse has nore real talent since he can actually make the sheetmetal,that's a dying art.I figure if I spend $45-50K on parts and a little labor with what I can fab up it'll be awesome,but for some odd reason the Better Half thinks this is crazy.

D

DenB.

Don't lose the dream Rex just do a little at a time and 'fore ya know it discovery channel watch out
bigokay.gif

rex

Pinch me so I wake up,or should I pinch you?(Don't tell if I do,ok?)I'd love to build a hotrod but it'll be a while.I definately need to win the lottery first because I know I'll have 20K in just the motor.I think that's the prob with the OL on this,the motor will cost more than my present scooter is worth and I still need to spend 4k+ or so on a custom frame.Man those rubber mounts get expensive.But before anyone mentions it I think I think Ness' Y2K frame is an overpriced ugly ripoff of the real Euro customs.FXR's are great but I don't want to get into major reconstruction eliminating the side wishbones,so far Gambler has the nicest buildable frames I've found.

M

mission

I watch both those shows religiously and Im damn impressed wiTh paulie jr. First off he seem like a down to earth guy without any "look at me " attitude. The old man never shuts up and never does any work, but once again seem to be a real guy. I hope someday me and my son are wrenchin on some old evo 10 years from now. As for Jesse he very talented, but seems like the kind of guy who would blow you off if he could. At the end of the day I wish someone would pay me to do the thing I love.

D

DenB.

Rex have you done much net surfing for rolling chassis bikes? the prices aren't to bad

Hotrod Lincoln

Better put in my 2cents. I am not a motorcycle guy. I am a car guy and train guy. That said, I like both shows (am.chopper & monstergarage) I watch both for entertainment value. I have asked myself while watching AM. Chopper, how are you a "custom" builder, if you assemble parts from other vendors? I thought that perhaps I just did not get it.
I know that if I where building a hotrod for someone, at way under $150,000, and I pulled parts out of a box from China...... Whell, I just would not be very proud of my self.
Maybe they should be refered to as "Custom Assembelers". It would be more accurate.
Am I totaly wrong?

rex

Yeah,I've done quite a bit.This is an adventure down the road so I'm not serious now due to $.Those Amen drag style frames really get me going,but that's an awefull lot of rake to play with 150+HP.Actually if I can get another 10 horse out of mine now I'm sure I'd love it but until I go chain drive I'm really not sure if I'm happy now or not,I only got about 10K out of a belt before so I'm tired of changing them.Yeah,I got wimpy all of a sudden.I guess you're not supposed to throw a Harley sidways grabbing 3rd or stand it straight up-thank Harley for bobtail fenders (the OL doesn't like that one at all,hurts my head and ribs).

D

DenB.

would love to catch those stunts on video
haha.gif
I agree with ya the AMEN Cycles are sweet looking tho' i like the street fighter look