American Chopper Series

T

t-boy62

Mission: I agree, Paulie Jr seems like a much nicer person tha JJ, I still remember before Jesse opened his shop and he was nothing, but he sure acts like he doesn't remember those days. As far as talent and vision, I think JJ has more than both Paulies combined.

Hotrod Lincoln: I'm with you on the custom assembler tag.

L

lilacgirl4

I know that I'm catching this conversation at the end but I gotta tell you guys, I jsut set up a field trip for my high school boys with WCC. The lady that was my contact was really helpful and nice, but when we got there there was another chick workin' the desk. I guess that chick was really rude!~ ( I wasn't even able to go, boo hoo) But they won't do the whole field trip thing, and they only alow the kids to stand at a fence to see teh work. So in my opinion, OCC is much more about the people they build for and the community around them. The boys then went to Boyd Coddington. They said that was teh best part of the trip! They got to see custom hot rods and how thier wheels are made. They loved Boyd's better than the WCC, which is what we watch religiously! So... you tell me who is a little more receptive to teh things around them!
shocked.gif

rex

Yeah,alot of these guys are parts builders.Even some of the one's that build their own frames are nothing more than raking and stretching an existing chassis.I've got one lame pic I can dig up for you Den,it's just a smoking.Can't seem to get caught in the act of something good.

D

DenB.

It never fails buddy!!
wink.gif
when you wanna get caught on film of have a witness their nowhere to be seen

D

DenB.

lilacgirl4 i'm envious!!!!CODDINGTONS? WOOO!! i'd love to see then in action

ezrider

As far as field trips go most insurance companies do not cover non employees in the shop. if you have grinding, cutting, spraying and other hazzardous activities going on you can see the shop owners reason for not allowing visitors and its not fair to them ( the owners) to have to stop productivity,the bills still have to get paid.

D

DenB.

totaly agree with ya but, just a thought these shops that have so much notoriaty maybe should figure a way to set an area aside so the up and comers can view from a some what protected area. just a thought

rex

How ya been Joe,man we haven't talked in a while!Great point.I'm still waiting to see the wife's ride.I found the pic so let's see if I can get this one up in less than 2 days.

lst

D

DenB.

ARE YOU SURE THAT'S YOU BEHIND ALL THAT SMOKE?
haha.gif
hey!! where's LG4?

D

DenB.

did you delete the link? took two time to get it the second time i didn't highlite the first html piece

rex

I've been playing with it but all I get is the little box with the X in it.I changed the address to the album with that pic and a few more.Yahoo sucks anymore.

D

DenB.

i keep trying to link pics. in here with no luck so far so Rex your doin' better than me

B

bugsmoran

tried your link but link has problems. Don't think they're personal but never know.

BUGS
cheers.gif

flamethrower

Between the two, Jesse is by far the better innovator and builder. But I've met him and I gotta tell you he is only interested in how thick your wallet is. I know a guy up here that bought a set of Hell Bent pipes for his chop, and then he ordered and paid for a set of heat shields for them at a bike rally from WCC. He gave them the $500 up front (for 2 tiny little pieces of chrome!) The parts never came so he called them. They denied ever taking the order or the money, so the guy (More dollars than sense) sent them another $500! Last I heard, he still hadn't received his stuff!

Jesse makes some incredible stuff, but lets not forget the true custom builder that started it all. Arlen Ness. I met Arlen a couple years ago at Sturgis and he is truly a cool dude. All about the bikes and the people. He makes a good living but he's not all about the $$. Check out some of his creations. One of the coolest bikes I've ever seen is "SmoothNess".

As far as Paulie goes, he makes (puts together) cool choppers, but there are alot of guys doing that, and for a hell of a lot less than $150K. Ron Simms, Dave Perewitz, Paul Yaffe, Roger Bourget, and I know I'm forgetting people...

FT

P.S. anybody know how I can get a contract with Discovery channel for a show on how to actually put miles on a bike?

Hyme

I wanted to throw my two cents in on the ol Jesse vs. OCC debate. I think Jesse is a talented guy who makes some pretty cool stuff. He does appear to have quite an attitude. As for OCC and the American Chopper series, I think it is great. The arguing gets on my nerves a little.

The one think I didn't see mentioned above is the time frame for completing the bikes. I'm guessing Jesse's bikes take a lot longer to get done than OCC. I believe that is why OCC outsources so much. I think that they could do some of the fab stuff that Jesse showcases but because of time constraints they go the quicker route. I guess I'm a fan of both but the guys from OCC seem more down to earth and friendly.

B

big stinkie

After reading all the posts about where the real artists are and such, I couldn't help but add this link to the shop where I get my stuff.

www.mcworx.com

(They don't do paint, so it shouldn't be in competition with Scott's business.) They are a small outfit, but they are getting more well known. All their frames are made in-house, and many of the fenders and tanks are fabricated on site. The same goes for ignition switch housings, exhaust, handlebars, license plate mounts, etc. Various local painters do the paint work. All that, and you can ride one home for less than 20K! (The 20K bikes usually don't have custom pipes and handlebars, etc. Generally 'off the shelf' stuff.) He builds some that are more expensive, but he caters to the folks like us that are on a budget and want something we can RIDE, not trailer from show to show.

When talking to Frank, (one of the owners) he even mentions WCC and OCC bikes and how they are so expensive. He feels that shows like that cause people to think you must spend 50K or more for a custom bike. He wants to build bikes for the average guy, or help them build their own.

Their bikes might not have all the glitz and glitter that WCC and OCC bikes do, but they look good and go down the road. I know this is an overused phrase, but it holds true. "Chrome won't get you home."

Later,

Andy aka Big Stinkie

L

lilacgirl4

Couldn't agree with you more Hyme! Hey, Rex, don't tease us like that! We were all lookin' forward to seein' you! hehehe. Den, they just went on Tues. The kids had a blast, and I agree with the up and comers. The kids did get to see the shop from a gate, so it's not like they totally forbid it, they just were going to hopefully be able to talk to a fabricator to learn a little. It didn't happen though. I understand the insurance thing and the safety thing too. I mean, I do work at a school hehehe. I think that OCC was pretty cool to be able to take the time to show the kids their shop and how they work. I feel if you're not taking 50 kids there should be a 10 min. window for us to ask a couple questions. Just my nasty opinion though.