what tools should i buy for first time out

G

guitarzan

Hi guys, i am new to the site and new to the painting game but feel confident that with help I can tackle this. I want to paint my 2001 fxst's tank and fenders. I want to do it in gloss black with candy flames pinstriped then burried in clear. Before I start, I need an idea of what tools I should invest in to do the job. I have the compressor, a 2 stage 60 gallon craftsman. 7 horse motor 175 psi max out put. so now I suppose I should get a regulator and air/oil filter set up? I want to use an hvlp gun. Should I get more than one for different types of paint ? Sanding tools , stands, any advice would be great. I do want to do more jobs in the future if this goes well so I want quality tools but still maintain a budget. I will ask for paint advice after i compile my tool list but do plan on using House Of Kolor paint. Thanks in advance and I will watch for responses to this post . Guitarzan

I

imported_h steve

Sounds like you've got a good start. The one thing I'd recommend you add to the top of your list is a fresh air system. HOK, sealers, Kandies and Clears use a catalyst which contain Isocycnates. (other mfgs probably do to but I only use HOK) It's really nasty stuff and you need only read the OSHA info to get a healthy respect for it.

There are currently no repirators on the market that are approved for Isocycnates so fresh air is the choice. I bought an SAS 3800 system for about $600.00 on the internet at toolparadise.com. Works so good I use it for everything.

G

guitarzan

Thanks Steve,good advice. I hate to spend that much on safety equipment but that is the most important thing i supose. I will check into it.