What I need to begin

D

dabien310

Hey all,
I'm new to this forum and I am looking to start airbrushing.

I mostly plan to use it for automotive/ motocycle designs. I had a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

1.) What is a good all around airbrush I can buy?

2.) What kind of compressor can I buy? Do I have to buy one specifically for airbrushes or can I also go to Walmart and pick one up? What should I look for?

3.) What kind of paint should I use? Does it matter?

4.) Is there anything else i need?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/newbie.gif

T

tcmustang

If all your going to do is airbrush work , you don't need a large compressor. But one with a storage tank is better than spraying straight from the compressor, for several reasons. One is the compressor will not have to run all the time, you are spraying from the reserve tank. @nd some small compressors will give you a pulsing spray pattern , from the piston pumping air directly to the gun. I have a 6 h.p 80 gal tank 2 stage that I use to run a whole shop and paint cars, but I have a regulator at one station set to 30 psi for air brush work. As for the air brush gun read up on internal and external mix types of gun, and gravity and suction feed guns. Diff. types for diff. types of work.

Bornhard

tc mustang said it best on the compressor issue. Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply have good selections on compressors. The one thing you need to consider is where are you going to be airbrushing? Compressors you get at those places are rather noisy! The more expensives ones in Airbrush Magazines run quiet, or almost silent, but are over $300 plus for the brands worth buying.

On some of the other post in this section are some details on airbrush selections. For auto airbrushing I'm an Iwata fan, because it can handle urathane paints.

For the type of paint, it again depends on where you're spraying.

As anything else...you should read as much on airbrushing as possible. Get some Airbrush magazines at a local book retailer. There are so many items involved in airbrushing to list. Reading about the subject will educate you better.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/luck.gif

hoss

I have a paasche double action airbrush, and it is a good starting airbrush. It has some issues w/ fine free hand work, but for fades and flames it works well, and is reasonably priced for beginers. (as i am) I also went to Wallyworld (walmart) and purchased a 5 horse 5 gal. compressor, a regulator, and filter (for water and debree). If you don't have another air compressor, you'll have a hard time spraying a clear if you have any less of a compressor. My five horse works well w/ my gravity feed gun, and I spray my clear w/ it. You'll never find a clear you can be happy w/ unless it is an automotive clear.

don't know if that's what you want, but that's my input.

D

dabien310

THanks guys. I'm doing my research and I think I may go with the Paasche brush.

A

alienboy

NOOOOOOO....get an Iwata HP-C...trust me, worth the money.

hoss

The paasche is under 100. i got it cause i didn't want to screw up a more expensive one. I've learned a lot w/ it, and i wasn't afraid of messing it up. I will upgrade someday, but for now the paasche is good for me. I'm sure once i upgrade it will be an great change, but for under 100 that brush works for me.

What are some of the advantages of the other air brushes?

C

counterman

I found to start out the Campbell Hausfeld kit works good. It came with a 2 gal comp. and tank. It has the power to run a brush and gun but not the big gun's also came with an MP2900 brushinternal mix dual / single action airbrush. I picked it all up in a package at Harbor freight for under $100.00. It is not the best but good to start out with

K

KoryB

I use an iwata eclipse for automotive murals and graphics, and its an amazingly versatile airbrush. You can get them for less than $90 online. I think I got mine from Art Supply Warehouse.

I've used an Iwata custom Micron C for years for detail work, yet I'm amazed at what that eclipse will do.

Be sure to keep your air supply clean. I use a long hose (20') from my compressor and then raise it off the ground about 6 feet just before passing the air through my moisture trap/regulator (from sears). this sudden vertical rise allows a lot of the water to drop out of the air supply, and the moisture trap catches the rest. Just remember to empty the moisture trap regularly. It works for me :)

Spend as much time as you can doing basic drills with your airbrush. Its boring, but it will get you where you want to go faster than if you ignore the fundamentals. Dots of different sizes (draw a grid and place a dot at each intersection), lines going thick to thin. I sometimes draw some curvy lines on paper and then try and follow them with the airbrush keeping a consistent line quality. this is great practice for drop shadows, etc.

Hope some of that is helpful...