welding in new sheet metal

Jim

Great new section Scott!
I'm rebuilding a 66 Chevelle SS.I bought new rear outer wheelwells(wheelhouse)but they don't make an inner yet,mine were gone to the trunk floor seem.I bought some 22ga. metal sheets and have learned a good way to replace the metal that I would like to share.I had enough pieces of the edge to get a profile so,I just traced it out with a marker and connected the dots so to speak,Once I got the shape I wanted,I cut it out with a cutoff wheel on a 4in. grinder.I then held the piece up to the old piece and drew another line where the metal was solid with no rust,cut the old stuff out ,clamp your new metal behind the old one(make sure you bend it perfectly to match your old shape) and trace the cut with a marker,cut to your mark and presto,a perfect fit no matter what shape.
When you go to weld it in,clamp it in place and start tacking it about every 2inches. then tack in between until it's fully welded.If your replacement metal isn't quite as thick,make sure you make it flush with the side you will most see.