The Right Stuff-Newbies

Jim

I'm bored and thought I'd throw in a post.I think I wrote something like this awhile back but,this place is growing like wildfire!When you have a bodywork/paint project weather it's a bike,car,truck or whatever,try to find an autobody supply house close to you.I live in a smaller town and found one about 20 minutes away.Lucky I guess, anyway he supplies alot of the paint/body shops in more than 50-100 mile area and goes to the big paint supply warehouses in Chicago on a regular basis. He answers any questions (he's a talker and I love it)I have and tells me what products all the shops are useing. Everything from primers sealers,paints,seam sealers ,epoxies,sanding stuff,foam pads,paint guns and on and on.He only carries stuff he sells to the shops,no walmart crap here,my point is you know your useing the right stuff,same as the pros.When your new at this,figuring out what to use is half the battle.nothing worse than taking your time to "try" and do a good job and useing the wrong materials.Do yourself a favor and find one.Ask a local painter or repair shop where they get thier supplies.I found the smaller shops with older guys running them are not in as big a hurry (as the younger guys getting pd by the hour)) and have more time for chitchat. Starting the conversation off with a complement on thier work always helps break the ice.

D

Deacon Blues

Thanks Jim. I found a supply place close to where I live, got the address from a local custom bike builder (he's got some sweet paintwork on his rides!)

Didn't have much time to 'shoot the breeze' but the fellas were still extremely helpful. I'm also a shade-tree/weekend painter, with NO tools or booth space, so my work is strictly amateur....

B

big stinkie

I agree. Get to know the right folks.

Every time I go into the local PPG place here in town I always try to buy something...even if it is only a roll of tape. I figure they'll see me as a regular paying customer that way and not think I'm just some guy trying to pump them for free info.

I've got more rolls of tape than I'll probably ever use now, but the price was worth all the tips and help I got.