The 'Chrome' look

O

outlaw17

The \'Chrome\' look

Can anyone tell me a quick and kinda easy way for a rookie to airbrush something to give it the chrome look ? I am doing some flames on my truck tomorrow and I want to do this , I have a buddy that would do it but he had to leave town so I am going to try it myself , an help would be great . If anyone has any pictures of the airbrushed chrome look I would like to see them as well , thanks .
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

rex

Re: The \'Chrome\' look

All I can tell you is you need white,black to do some tinting with and blue,any more than that and you'll have to wait for the brushing guru's to come by.

O

outlaw17

Well I had a couple pictures to look at and I said what the heck lets try this , and whalla it turned out awright , it would abviously look better if a professional did it escpecially where the highlights come intoplay but I think I did a pretty good job for my first creation . I got pictures of it in the booth and I am going to unmask it in a while so I will take some outside and post later today . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif

rex

Cool,glad it worked out.The easiest thing to do is take pix and then study them to find out how the lightsource affects the shaddowing.Practice makes perfect.

O

outlaw17

Here's what it looks like , what do ya think ?

Nevermind , I cant link it from the site thats hosting it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll figure something out so I can show it .

O

outlaw17

O.K, lets see if this works , let me know what you think , its my second time doing flames , first time was just some ghost flames on a black truck.
f9f7a466.jpg

flamethrower

Hell Yeah!
Nice job dude.

I couldn't zoom in on them, but they look chrome to me. And I like the design. Very cool.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

FT

flamethrower

Right on. Very nice. And I like the tips too. As seen on my Roadking I painted last year. (look under the thread titled "My first job finished" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sunglass.gif
FT

G

gc

Nice job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif

The best rference for chrome is none other than chrome itself. Chrome as we see it has no color of it's own. The nickel base gives us the reflectiveness (mirror) and thus color comes from the enviroment the chrome is in. Traditionally chrome is painted as daytime outside. Blues for the sky. Greys-browns-greens for the ground with the horizion line being anything from black to, well, about anything to a mixture of several. And all this is without any nearby objects! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif