Tank sealer...better then Kreem

blaino

Check out this site. The Site is mainly for Plating and Powder coating. They sell a epoxy tank sealer that is (in my opinion) by far Superior to Kreem. I bought a pint and stuff and it clings to the sides of the tank unlike kreem were you have to tilt and wait and roll and wait and turn over and....well you get the idea. Another plus is the tank does not have to be as they say a "clinically clean surface, as the epoxy actually prefers to bond to a rough rusty surface". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sunglass.gif

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm?PHPSESSID=c083a89c7c270c77a2befa3b1f 60c0d6

O

orange peel

as long as you have fuel in your tank and run it through every month you don't need a sealer. A sealer is just a poor mans way to fix or plug a pin hole. Believe me, after a year it will all flake out and go into your carb or fuel injector system then you really have a problem.

blaino

True O.P....... I couldn't agree with you more. Only thing is some vendors do not warranty tanks unless you pressure test and coat them. Plus when a customer says they want it coated ........that what I give them. !
bigokay.gif

N

Nate Hansen

yeah, but if you mig weld a gas tank, a sealer is the way to go......

O

orange peel

I would only put a sealer in it if I lived near the ocean because of the salt air...even after welding it is Ok, I have been burt to many times with the sealer...never been burt with the welder

blaino

I've had Kreem flake off but, never been burnt by it. The petcock filter usually catches anything that will cause damage. I'm curious what kind of problems have you had with it ?
bounce.gif

O

orange peel

You see whats in the pet cock. But what went through to the motor? On a split tank I had the over flow tube that goes to the left side plug on me. I did not know it was fused shut until my customer called me. He saw he had gas. The right side tank was full, but did not flow to the left side. He was stranded on the side of the road. Just was not good business. I wont get burnt like that again. Any time someone wants it done, I say go ahead , you put it in...good luck. ( we are talking about an 18,000 and up investment )

O

orange peel

Plus if its in the pet cock, then it's not working, it's not sticking........right

H

HOTROD396

Hello
So you would agree that even after a lot of cutting and welding on the tank that it dosen't need a sealer ?
I just added a new bung with a paul yaffe cap and then used the old bung hole to sink a oil gauge into. plus stretch it 4"in. and i was about to buy POR-15 SEALER.
all this was done on a 2000 sportster tank and it looks as if there was something in to start with ! a light gray in color.

H.R

K

kxmotox247

I have some of this stuff on order. I'll make sure I share the results with the board....how easy it is to apply, etc...

rex

Harley does have a coating in there and after time the gas will turn it orange and look like rust if you don't look carefully.Of course welding will burn the coating off but if you keep the tank full like stated it won't rust in the submerged area.OP,please say you've been burned by the welder,I have many scars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif( I know,wrong meaning)

T

tcannon

I just put a few ounces of moonshine in there every fill up. It seems to keep the tanks from rustin'. Just don't put too much in there or it will eat a hole through the tank. Really though, I've had excellent luck using a local radiator shop to seal my tanks. They guarantee them and do it for about what it would cost me to do it myself. TC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif

P

phattail

Im a newbie here! Great site! Anyway I read on another web board(chopper related) to have the whole tank nickel-plated before any bodywork. It seals the inside and out. Then for bodywork on the tank just scuff up with 80 grit and go.

P

phattail

On that particular board the price in Las Vegas was $150 but you could also think of it another way is how much do you want to protect that paint job that you have some money invested into. I havent called the local platers around here yet. Ill let you all know.

groovesdown

I've had good luck and bad luck with Kreem. I believe the success of the treatment depends on the degree of etching in the 2nd step. Although the instructions say 4-8 hours I found that 10-12 gives a thourough etch and better bonding. Further, I have heard nothing but good regarding POR-15. I have just finished building a custom oil tank for my Ironhead chopper, using a cheap MIG welder. I have about a dozen pinhole leaks and am going to use POR-15 "POR patch" to plug the leaks from the outside. This will allow the tank to hold the cleaner, and etching prep (steps 1 & 2) without leaking it out before step 3 (POR-15 fuel tank sealer). I'm confident that POR-15 fuel tank sealer will do the trick. They claim to know what permanent means. I would like to know what others think of POR-15 fuel tank sealer. Sorry about the long post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Thanx,
Steve

A

AfternoonDelight

Has anyone heard of something called RED KOTE? It's also a tank sealer. A radiator shop around here uses it and says they've never had anyone bring a tank back from leakage. Anyone know anything about it?

L

lazysol

My tank i just stretched and primed when i wetsand it water got in side the tank and its hard to get out because of where i relocated the gas cap. now when i shake the tank to get it out the wter looks rusted. now i would have to seal the tank now right?