Super durable clear

M

martys748

I am in need of a clear coat that is SUPER strong, Im repainting my motorcycle, I ride in a club, and in a years time I am having to repaint due to the amount of chips that I have accumulated in only a years time. What ever the painter used the first time was nothing better then celophane!, Looking for something SUPER stong, yet SUPER GLOSSY
Thanks guys!

T

TAZ

Sometimes when a clear chips very easy, this is due to spraying quite a bit of base, then before it dries completely, spraying clear over it, so now you have a "soft" base (since it cannot breathe), and then a good catalyzed clearcoat over it.

Anyway, this is probably what happened. Just a guess though.

I use the PPG D894 clear on all my parts. Most of today's clears are very good and durable.

M

Motornoggin

I agree with Scott. Clear can chip easy if it is too thick too, and if it is sprayed over a non-compatible substrate (urethane clear over acrylic enamel, works, but not very durable). I have had good results with Dupont Chroma-clear in either regular and ultra-productive as well as R-M Diamont urethane clear (don't remember the number right now). The newer urethane's are very durable and extremely shiney.
wink.gif

M

martys748

Thank you Thank you, how long should I wait till I spray on the clear ? and how much is too much ?

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: martys748 ]

T

TAZ

You can spray your clear usually within 15 minutes to a half hour if you use a true basecoat clearcoat system.

Usually 2-3 coats is plenty. Be sure and read the manufactures recommendations on this though. Different clears require different amount of coats. I use a clearcoat at work that only two coats are required. Probably the equivalent of 6-8 coats of the old lacquer clear.

T

tooter

motonoggin, i think u talking about dc76nr jaming clear,strong stuf

M

Motornoggin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tooter:
motonoggin, i think u talking about dc76nr jaming clear,strong stuf<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That could be!

R

RaVeN

i know that PPG has a chip resitant clear dont remember the number on it or how long it lasts but they showed it to us at the PPG training center so might might want to look in to it