Striping flames?

KansasJeep

When you pinstripe flames what brush is the best to use? I Have tried a #0 and #00 mack sword striper b/c I was told to use them, but I don't have much luck with tight curves. Is there a better brush for this? Thanks, Jared

hoss

i use the 01 mack brush, and i take and cut 1/4" of hair off the top part of the brush. this helped me out w/ tight curves. i just started cutting on the brush (i went through quite a few at first) and found out what worked for me as a striper. get craig fraziers video on striping. he cuts a brush and shows simple tech. on the brush.

Ultra Al

If your into swordstripers, for the tight inside curves an X-cakuber (available at Laser Lines and other places} in 00 or 000 is good if the hair on the series 10 macks is too long for you to make the turns. But try the Kafka in #3, this baby turns really good. You can also do scrols with it. AL

hoss

the only thing i can get around here are the long hair mack other than on the internet. so i motified the mack to suit my needs. works well!

i've used the x-calaber and didn't like it i like the scroll type better

KansasJeep

I like using my #00 size. Any bigger makes to thick of a line for me. I took my 00 trimmed some off the bottom of the brush. It helped a little, but I never thought of trimming some off the top.

hoss

you got em from napa right? just cut off this much __ off the top. try it out. just get a new one and try it out

KansasJeep

I actually got it from orielly's but they are the same ones. By __ this much do you mean to take about a 1/4" off in legnth, or 1/4" off the whole top?

Kirk F

HOSS,
If possible post a pic of how you trim. Sounds like your saying to trim off
the length which will mess up the brush. I just trim some of the belly hairs
off so their not in the way when the brush is twisted, it also helps to hold
the brush pretty vertical on the turns. The #3 Kalfka's will also work nice
once you master them.

Kirk

hoss

i leave the belly hairs b/c i makes the brush a little shorter and that aids in the twisties also. so i take it off the top part of the brush

Attachments

• brush.JPG
    brush.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Kirk F

Hoss,
Thanks for the great pic, I've never seen it done that way before.
I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks,

Kirk F

KansasJeep

That helps alot. I'll have to try that when i get to school monday. Did you cut it when it was dry, or did you wet it down first? Also, what brushes did you use on those pinstriped pictures you sent me? Just a sword striper or various brushes?

hoss

i cut it when it was dry. then i perfected my angle (0n the tip) when it was wet. and that brush is all i use for now. the 01 and 00

KansasJeep

Wow, it looks like you have definatley mastered the ability to pull very consistant lines. I'm having trouble pulling lines that remain the same width. I'm just gonna keep practicing.

hoss

are you talking to me? i've got a long way to go too. i've only been doing it for 1 yr. i am and will be working on pulling a line the length of a car. man that's tough

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
I tried trimming the top of the brush at the risk of messing up.But it works,
seem to give greater control.Also tried it with the Xcaliber,also improved that one.Great tip Hoss.

hoss

the only downfall that i've seen is running a long straight line. the trimmed brush doesn't hold as much material. so you'll want to keep some full brushes around for those jobs.

T

TAZ

I've cheated. I always have masked off the lines on cars, then either brushed or sprayed them depending on the color...

:haha:

Good pic Hoss!