spray guns

B

BJ Jeffries

i am looking for a good beginner gun and i was wondering if this is any good and any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated FINISHLINE II by DeVillbiss Compliant HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun. Includes: 32oz aluminum cup with push-on lid, 4 E-Z Liner disposable cup liners, both 1.4mm and 1.6mm fluid tips, air adjusting valve with gauge, gun hook, spray lube and fluid filter. High grade aluminum gun body. Stainless steel fluid needle and alloy resin fluid tip. Alloyed resin handle keeps gun weight to a minimum. Gun washer safe. This gun consumes 11.4 CFM @ 23 PSI.

C

Critter

I have that gun and swear by it! I love it!

I don't think it can be beat for the money either.

Art

This is a very good gun. Just a word of advise though. The fluid tip is plastic so make sure you clean it really good or it could break if paint dry's around it and the cap. Yep it happend to me... The fluid tip's are cheap but I really hated the down time.

B

BJ Jeffries

thanks for all the info
bigokay.gif

Jim

I have the same gun but not HVLP,It came with one tip.1.4mm.Around $100 on ebay and l am very happy with it.I am new to painting and found it very easy to use.
bounce.gif

R

Russ

I also us an FL2 HVLP. I love that gun... Especially for the liner system. If you save your bushings you can use ziplock baggies instead of buying the expensive ones. Plus, you can mix up a spoonful of pint if that's all you need. No need to mix a full cup like was neccessary with siphon feeders.

You can also spray in any direction... I can lay on my back and paint the underside of a car.

The HVLP runs about $150 and the Gravity Feed Conventional runs about $85. It's not compliant but it has a fairly high transfer rate for a conventional gun.

It's not a Sata NR2000 or even a Sharpe platinum but for $150 you will be shocked by the results it can deliver.

T

tanzilla

The FL2 HVLP is a great gun for the money, if you keep it clean. DO NOT, however, let any of the plastic parts soak in laquer thinner overnight (or you'll be replacing them the next time you paint). TZ

B

BJ Jeffries

I bought it yesterday. I love it
grin.gif
although i have never used spray guns before i found it real easy to use and set up. I painted a fiberglass hood metalic blue it looks pretty good i think

Stretch

I've been watching the HVLP Gravity Feed guns on ebay and it amazes me the number of people that'll pay way more than a gun's worth. I found this site:

http://www.spraygunworld.com

They sell the DeVilbiss F2 for $120, the Sata 2000 for $350 and the Sharpe Platinum for $300. If anyone knows of better prices, please post them.

If anyone else can, please comment on specific details of the brushes (tip sizes for clears, primers, replaceable parts, cleaning, etc..). Sounds like plastic parts are questionable. What is everyone else using. I'd like to get a gun or two and wouldn't mind making a good choice the first time around. What are you experienced guys using?

Thanks-Stretch

rex

If you're wanting to spend money,you do pretty much get what you pay for as the saying goes.I'm using the DiVilbiss GFG with a 1.4 tip and 2000 cap and she sprays everything nice.As soon as I get ahold of a friend I'm going to get 'Plus'.Everyone says they're even nicer for clear.I gave 3 for my last one but they go around 350,and the 'Plus' is around 430.I wanna try a Sata Jet but haven't yet.I need to pull out my old MBCs and use them again for specialty primers.I'm not putting down cheaper guns because I've used even $100 copies with great results,but they are throw away and wear out fast.Oh,I'm using PPG and pretty much everything likes a 1.4 tip in gravity feeds.HVLPs might be different,but I'm not completely sold yet.They are really nice with base though.I know you'd like the GFG,and as long as you clean it spotless every time,you can go from start to finish easily for a little while.I won't go below sealer though,I run surfacers through one of those cheap copies.Here's the tip of the week-don't use standard airline.Buy 3/8 line and use the DeVilbiss style ends and couplers.The extra air volume really helps atomization and is what the guns are really designed around.

S

shaunboy

I'VE OWNED A DEVILBISS GTI HVLP WITH 100 AIR CAP FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW.
ITS GOT A 1.6 TIP WHICH I PREFER [MY PREFERENCE ONLY] BECAUSE FOR CLEAR OR SOLID COLOR URETHANES YOU CAN WIND THE FLUID RIGHT OUT AND REALLY BLAST THE PAINT ON
grin.gif
grin.gif

AND FOR BASECOAT YOU CAN EASILY ENOUGH TURN THE FLUID IN AND GET EVENNESS IN YOU METALLICS.
BEFORE THE GTI I HAD A GFG GUT I BELIEVE THE GTI IS A TECHNICAL ADVANCEMENT AND BETTER FINISHES ARE ACHIEVABLE.
MAINLY BECAUSE THESE DAYS AUTOMOTIVE PAINT IS BEING DESIGNED TO BE SPRAYED THROUGH HVLP GUNS

T

trans damm

i have a 3hp 15 gallon compressor.. can i run a finishline HVLP gun on that? i dont plan on doing big pieces just one body panel at a time.

S

skydog

You should be fine with the 3 horse, make sure you have a water filter (especially if you are in a humid area) because your compressor will run alot even pushing a HVLP gun.....
agree.gif

D

Duleyman

Buy the best that your wallet will allow, You will be amazed at the difference between a finish line for 125.00 and a Sata for 300.00 and up. Save a little longer to get the better gun, you will not regret it in the long run. They last longer and give you better atomization which will help with all the specialty paints ( kandys etc). I have Binks hvlp, Finish line hvlp, Devilbiss gti hvlp, Accuspray hvlp ( love this gun for the basecoats) I would recommend this gun to anyone, And sata nr2000's hvlp for clear, Ive turned the finish line into a basic gun for spraying blending solvent, and the binks for everyday spraying but the Satas and Accusprays are the stuff for the Professional Paint Finish. Again buy the best that you can, check ebay if you know what you are looking for and are educated on retail prices you can sometimes find great deals worth bidding on. And get gravity feed.

C

Chopper

I just picked up a FL II conventional from one of autobodydepot.net's ebay auctions for $70. I am totally happy with this gun. I'm a total beginner, and that gun has put down the clear slick as snot, every single time with no runs!!
I am 100% pleased with it.