spray gun/air compressor compatibility

groovesdown

I have a Craftsman 6 hp, 30 gallon, single cylinder, oil free air compressor. It goes up to 150 psi and provides 8.6 scfm @ 4o psi and 6.4 scfm @ 90psi. Is this sufficient to operate an HVLP spray gun? I want to buy a quality sprayer for base/clear applications but I don't know which spray guns will operate at their full potential within the limitations of my air compressor. I'm only painting motorcycle parts so a big production gun may not be necessary, unless that's what I need to apply custom paint (candies, metalflakes, pearls ect.). I have been using a cheap $20 detail gun that doesn't even provide specifications for use. I've been using quality paints but getting some orange peel. I don't know if it's the quality of the spray gun, or my inexperience at spraying. I have veiwed some videos from HOK so I think I've got some good foundational habits developed. I didn't know anything about atomization of the paint until studying a significant amount of prior posts on this site, which leads me to believe I should invest in a better spraygun. I've learned more here than all the videos I've ever seen on custom painting. Any input will be received kindly. Thanx

Groovesdown

G

Gunner

Well, I've got the same compressor and a brand spanking new Devilbiss FinishLine III. Haven't had a chance to spray with it yet, but will doing so this week. I'm not anticipating any problems, but I'll let you know.

Gunner

groovesdown

Hey Gunner, I will be glad to hear how it works out for you. How much does that model cost? Does it have all metal parts? Also, what tip size(s) does it have? I am just learning about this stuff now and really would like to know if different size tips are need for base, kandies, and clears.
Hope it works for you.

Groovesdown

Zeepaintr

I've got a similar compressor setup and I've expereienced little or no problems spraying bike parts with my Sata 2000. When you get into spraying complete cars, or things like that, sometimes you have to pause for a few minutes to let the compressor catch up and rebuild air pressure in the tank. Grinders and air files are 2 other tools that are tough to run on a compressor that size. They all use lotsa CFM. But for bike stuff I would say you'll be just fine with what you have.

Scott

G

Gunner

The new FinishLine III is all metal. I got it from autobodydepot.com for about $130. Comes with 1.5 and 1.8 mm tips. I have no basis for comparing it to any other guns, since it's my first.

Gunner

fisheye

zeepaintr nailed it
sunglass.gif