spray booth plans

J

jtbaca

Does anybody have any good ideas on how to build a spray booth, big enough for motorcycle tanks?

rex

I'm going to build one inside the garage whenever I get it built,but haven't really started plans until I know where it will go-I'll have 2000 sq ft to lay out a normal garage,booth and work bay,but I have no idea how it'll be laid out yet.Here are some things to make a nice one.Good clean intake air with enough exhaust to clear out overspray,it must be bright everywhere so you can see all angles of the surface (real bitch trying to see the bottom of a tank in poor light),and it must be sealed so air only enters through the filters.You'll see leaks after the fan runs a few hours and dust and overspray leave a track to the source.Your compressor air must be clean,and I'd make it bigger than you think you need now.It can be built from anything depending how permanent it will be,but the better it's built the cleaner it'll be.I'd like to hear some options and what others have built to get some options over what I'm thinking (sheetrock or fireboard framed in 2x4s).

C

ckimble

You all are going to laugh, but I built a temporary booth in my garage. I built a simple 2x4 frame, then stapled plastic sheeting all around the frame. For the door I used the plastic sheeting, but ran a strip of velcro for a seal. I then bought a big exhaust fan at a farm supply store and routed the air out a vent in my garage. I then sealed the floor and ceiling with expanding foam. Cost me about $100 for the whole thing. Most of that was the fan. works great, will have pictures soon of my flame job. Looks tits....

T

tooter

iam using a 8x16 storge building sealed it up with 4x8 insulation the shinny aluminum kind on the roof and walls i put 2 eight foot flourecnt fixtues in it 4bulbs in the ceiling and 4 bulbs on the wall about waist high layed white vinyl flooring down,its almost air tight,i have a fan(squirl cage) no air inlet it gets real foggy i usuly dont turn it on no air no trash

rex

Hey guys,whatever works counts.Tooter,you getting any dieback?All that overspray settling on the surface isn't good.

T

tooter

zero kick fan on 1 .2 min after clearing slick as glass if a fly was to land on it he would bust his ass

rex

Ok,that's cool.I don't know how you dress to spray,but cover everything you can since you have to hang out in the overspray.Anywhere it can get on you will absorb into your system,the eyes are really bad.I don't wear a hood,but our booth at work has excellent scavenging.Be safe,this stuff will toast your central nervous system.Ignore this if you already know it.

B

Big-D

Hey fellow flamers!
I built a paint booth out of 1 inch ID PVC and covered it with clear plastic. I taped a furness filter to the rear wall and vented out the other side. you will need to tie some rope to it and something solid to make it sturdy enough. I hang a shop light and two 250 watt heat lamps for light and additioal heat. I needed to be able to remove it when I'm not painting. sets up in about an hour and a half and comes down in 30 minutes. I have a pic. of it but cant figure out how to post it with this messsage
let me know and I'll email it to you.

Big-D

d.a.herschbach @ worldnet.att.net

trikypaint

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board but have been painting vehicles for 15+ yrs. Everyone here that mentioned about having their fans to blow the fumes out is taking chances on having dust particles in their paint (unless you wet the floors and walls).

You see you have pressure in the room when you have a fan running. Pressurizing the room is done by the incoming air while air in the room is forced out. Using this concept of a "positive pressure" environment, you overcome many problems created by the "negative pressure" environment created by the fan in the window or wall blowing out. Dust control is the main reason for this pressurizing. A negative pressure brings dust from every crack and crevasse in the room while positive pressure means you only need to deal with the incoming air through the filters.
Just my .02 cent~
Edde

B

Big-D

Fast Edde, you have a good point with the
positive presure vs negitive presure.
I have been painting in neg. pres. and have had to spray the walls and the floor down before painting for dust control. I am going to re-think my booth and try pos. presure.
Thanks for the good info!

Big-D

M

Mac_Muz

Eddy, not sure I understand... you blow air in filtered Eh? and also filter out going air too?

I may attempt a temporary tapes and plastic booth, for as little dollars as possible, for a one time use booth soon...

I assume the booth would need to be big enough for me and the parts, and I would need to move... What is needed in cubic feet per minute of air coming in, so one can still breath with a 3M 600 mask? I just bought one, but I don't think it will stop the twitch I have now ;-) Mac

rex

Mac,that's what Eddy meant.Set up a fan before the intake filter and after the exhaust filter.If you set up the intake fan to move a bit more in than the exhaust pulls out,it's pressurized and air will blow outof the booth at all cracks instead of trying to suck in unfiltered air.If you get the old style arrestors for exhaust filter,the intake filter will be denser and harder to put air through,so you have to take that into account on the intake fan setup.If this is a one time deal,it's a lot of work.

T

Tenacious C

Hey all,
Just completed my home-made paint booth. You can see photos of it at:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/tenaciousc

Basically it's just a 2x4 frame using 4x8 sheets of foam insulation for the walls. One end provides the intake with the exhaust via 4 suitcase fans at the other end. Light is provided by 6 4' shop lights.

G

guest01

Looks like a nice setup. What's your wife say about taking up half the garage?
grin.gif

K

Kelly Ruble

Tenacious C your setup is just what I need. can you post the part #s on the filters and fans and where you purchased them. Thanks

T

Tenacious C

Sorry I'm only just now responding...

The fans are just cheapo 20 inch box fans from Walmart. The filters are 20 x 20 x 1 AC filters from Home Depot (True Blue brand).

Just finished installing a window unit AC in the upper corner so I can sit out there and airbrush and not bake!

K

Kelly Ruble

No problem on the reply time. I do thank you for the information. Looks like a great job on the booth.
Kelly Ruble