Solvent Pop

V

voodoosurfer

ok so Im getting solvent pop in my clear, I know I laid it on a little thick, but someone posted that I might have waited to long between flashing. is that correct? or did I do it to soon between flashes. also one of my jobs did it real bad could it be because I put it out in the sun to bake a bit. about 5 minutes after application.

Austin

The problem with too much flash time is that the first coat "skims over" then when you re wet with your second coat the sovents can't escape from the first coat. You want the clear to still be tacky between coats. You can also have the same problem by using too fast of a reducer.
Austin

T

TAZ

My guess would be that each individual coat was too thick. Usually if you wait too long between coats, your first coat skims over (like Austin mentioned), then you can even run into a problem with wrinkling.

Some helpful tips on how to reduce the chance of solvent pop
>Be sure to use the proper reducer in your clear
>be sure and mix it according to the directions
>Be sure not to apply to heavy. This could also be due to your gun adjustment or setup.
>be sure and let each coat of clear tack up before applying the next coat. Do the 'tack test'.

LudicrousSpeed

Scott, what do you guys use as a "tack test"???

I was taught to wait till it was "hand slick", meaning that you can run your fingers very lightly across it and not have the paint come off on your hand. It is still wet, but not runny.....

Clear as mud?

Is this right or wrong?

Stretch

'Hand Slick' sounds really scary to me. I usually stick my finger in an inconspicuous spot and see if the paint 'strings'. When I can put my finger in a spot and all that's left is a slight indention where my fingerprint was I'm ready for the next coat. I'd be worried about running your hand over an area, especially if it's not tacked up enough. That's just my 2¢.

-Stretch

T

trickminis

Yes, like the guy said above.

Find a spot you've taped off that got shot with clear and touch it with your finger, if any paint strings up when you lift your finger its too wet!

T

TAZ

hand slick...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek_yello.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek_yello.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif
I do the same as Stretch says
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

A

alienboy

I usually let it dry 10 minutes between coats. If I'm really worried I will put a piece of tape on my stand or near the part I'm painting and shoot that the same as the tin. Then I use the touch the tape to see if it is dry and not the tin.
Does that make any sence?

S

shaunboy

to avoid solventpop in the clearcoat I use high solids clear .We use Glasurit paint.
The good thing about high compared to medium solids is that there is heaps less reducer and is thicker.therefore the top skins off a bit slower because the reducer isnt evaporating so quickly and flashing off too fast.
if I ever do use MS clear i put slow or normal reducer in regardless of how fast the hardener is.

LudicrousSpeed

I guess I wasn't too clear. I DON'T touch the painted surface, I touch the masking tape or paper NEXT to the area I painted........

LOL, I can just see me touching the surface.

"Next question...... How do you remove hand prints from your wet clear?????"

LOL!

flamethrower

Dear "Slick",
To answer your next question...
I use a method called "sandpaper slick" It's where you slide a piece of sandpaper either by hand or on a dual action sander over the hand print area until you can no longer see the hand print. Then I use a method called "clear slick" which is where you shoot clear coat over the afore mentioned "hand slick/sandpaper slick" area until it looks really "slick".
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif

LOL

A

alienboy

ROTFLMAO....
Flamethrower, is this before or after the long line of potty words?

rex

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif you guys are killing me.

Voodoo,too much and too little flash can cause a pop and as you found out hitting the sun too quick does too.Right after it quits pulling strings is the most popular test but to get more accurate try to slide your finger across the clear on the tape.If it plows clear it isn't ready,as soon as it grabs your finger from sliding it's ready.

V

voodoosurfer

I think I understand. I got my new gun this week and plan on trying it out this next weekend. you guys have been great with all the information. thanks again.