setting up a spray booth

BDsbigZRX

I have set up my LLC, and have all my business paperwork in line (BTW, I buy sell wrecked bikes, painting will be my "other job"!) I am looking for a facility that will:

A)house inventory (wrecked bikes!)
B)have a dedicated painting setup

Question is: Once I geta facility that is zoned properly, I guess I need to get a permit for the paint booth. Then the FD inspects it and signs off, then I am ready to paint, no????

When I used to work at a large sign shop, we were required (by OSHA or EPA?) to keep spray logs (submitted monthly or quarterly?)showing how much paint we bought, how much paint we sprayed, and how much paint we disposed of. Funny, calling around to the local auto body places, nobody seems to know anything about that. They basically said that once you get set up to spray, you are subject to FD inspections, but otherwise, spray away.....

Does that sound right to you???? BTW, I am in Charlotte, NC, if that matters.......

Bryan

T

TAZ

I'm sure setting up a booth will be different for every city and state. Probably the best thing you could do is call the city and get in touch with the Fire instpector, ask him to come out, then explain to him exactly what you are going to do. At least in our cite, the fire inspector is the *only* person that shut you down.
This is if you want to put up the booth the correct way. Some people will just put up a booth and hope for the best.

I've heard of the spray logs, but they haven't started requiring those down here in Florida...at least not yet...shhhhh!

D

Duleyman

Some citys and states require air permits, they need to know approx how much material you will be spraying, what type of guns hvlp etc. You are required to send in yearly reports on waste etc, how much material you purchased also. They like you to have what they call L.T.A. "latest technology available". Fire suppression, ventilation, filtration,mixing room, explosion proof lights, smooth walls so paint buildup will be minimum, there is alot to do in some states so check with your local fire department and they will help out.