Serious question Supplied air.

T

trans damm

iam about to paint and clearcoat my car and will be using ppg paint and clear. someone told me clearcoat is VERY dangerous and gets in you body though exposed skin and ofcorse beathing. he says a gas mask isint good enough and i need supplied air. is this true? where can i buy a supplied air kit and how much? is there anywhere or anyone who will rent me one? is this item accetable? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2071423654 will a 3hp 15 gallon compressor be enough to run a paint gun and supplied air. also is there any clearcoat that will work with ppg and is not toxic? thanks in advance. John

T

TAZ

It's not actually the clear that does the damage (of course this is not good for you either), it is the iscysyonates in the catalyst you put in the clear. Breathing these fumes are definitely not healthy for you. You also should not get this on your skin. A painters suit will help.

As far as respirators, the best you can use is the "air-supplied" respirators, and not the one's you hook up to an air compressor line. The safest respirators is the one that uses it's own compressor that uses the air outside the booth (or shop). These run about $500-$800 for a decent one.

If you notice the type of respirator you have a link to runs off of a compressor, you have to supply your own hose. The reason is is because the actual mask is NIOSHA approved, until you hook a hose to it. At least this was the way it was last time I checked on one.

Any more info, feel free to post your input. Possilby different air respirators you use?!

T

trans damm

thanks scott, so that resperator isint safe? what do most "at home or hobbiest" use? i cant afford a 500 doller pump. so i gusee there is no catalist that is non toxic or less harmful right? thanks again john

rex

Thes esetups are very costly as Scott said and unles syou plan on doing a ton of painting isn't worth it.Buy a good disposable 3M mask and cover your body well.Painter's suits and a spray sock to cover your head like a ski mask is great.The only thing lacking there is the eyes.In a poor ventilated booth put on goggles because the eyes absorb the overspray fast,but if you have great scavenging in the booth the goggles are optional for minimal exposure.I've painted in some serious dungeouns(sp) and haven't had a prob yet,but the consiousness of it has changed me since I'm back at painting full time-again.You have to realize that I've painted at least 10 years or more of 20 in the buisness too.For the home hobbiest I've seen 10X what you will,but protect yourself the best you can without spending $800 you don't need to.

T

trans damm

thanks for the help rex i feel better now. i alreay have a 3m gas mask will that be good enough? also does anyone know anything about the supplied air that gets hooked up to you compressor. are they safe? thanks again john

T

TAZ

Trans Damm,
First of all, that's great that you are very conscious for safety. Like Rex said though, one time will should not (disclaimer wording--*should not*
smile.gif
) have a long term effect on you. It's the day in day out painting that you (we) have to worry about.

I have started a poll on what our "Flames Board" painters/hobbyists use for protection when they are painting.

you can find the poll on this here. So be sure and keep an eye on this and see what everyone uses.

Like Rex, I use the 3M mask, but I am sure it will catch up with me. The older you get, the more you think about it...but sooner or later...it's going to be too late
frown.gif

I have used an air respirator before (fresh air system). I vow to buy another one soon!!!!
grin.gif

rex

I'm leary about the ones that plug into your compressor.They say the filters are great and all this but you still have a compressor pumping oil and water through the lines.Filters aren't cheap so most get used to the max,and then you're starting to breath impurities.I think the one that comes with it's own compressor is the only way to go.I actually have one at work but haven't set it up yet.3M makes masks for anything and some are identicle except for the filtering media in the cartridge.The one for paint should have a grey mask with trapezoid?(rectangle but one end is shorter than the other) filter housing and there are clear cups that snap on to hold the gauze prefilters.If you're not sure which you have double check with the paint store.I used to have to wear one of these to shoot pistol matches in an older indoor range to avoid being checked constantly for lead levels,that really sucked,but I think that mask was very similar to the paint one.

T

trigga

A 3hp compressor and a 15 gallon tank most likely ont run the gun and the respirator. Get your self a new 3M mask from a good paint store. (auto paint, not house paint)