Rookie needs alittle help

M

mike

I'm tring to paint a tool box on my truck. What I have done was sanded down some rusty spots and it has left scratches on the metal. I tried primer but it did not fill in the scratches. Is there some kind of spray sealer for this or what should I do, Thanks.

T

TAZ

If the scratches are pretty deep (like those from a grinder), you may want to get some polyester putty. This is like bondo, but lays out very nice and is also very easy to sand.

If the scratches are minor, you should be able to use a 2 part epoxy primer. This is fairly expensive though, but it will take care of the scratches. You should really use this anyway even if you do use the "putty" method.

rex

Since you have rust I'd fix it first or it'll come back later.The best way is sandblast it but some converters work well.I've had great results with Ospho or a copy Phospho.Wipe it on after loose dust and scale is knocked off,wait the time and prime it.

T

thumper5864

Question is what type of product are you using for this. Or what Company etc. Dupont, House Of Kolor. If you want a quality job, you want to fill these scratches witha filling primer. Not a primer surfacer. If you do this it will fill all that needs to be filled. You must apply a guide coat after you apply this primer, and it has dried. By doing this you can tell how far you need to sand, once you see no more guide coat, then it is time to stop sanding. You can use filler as stated. If you can spare the expense of a filling primer then thats the way to go. By using "BONDO" or other fillers you waste time as well as money in most cases.

M

mike

I'll probably use dupont. Actually I'm doing this for my dad, He finally got him a new truck and he works out of it and is pretty ruff on it as well. So I'm just doing a basic paint job, Nut'n fan'c, Thanks for your help.