realistic flames

D

DenB.

does anyone know how to do the realistic flames? if so please unload the know how. would like to learn thanks in advance -and keep the heat-
bigokay.gif

B

budweiser with a flame job

bounce.gif
i dont know if you looked in the main home page of this website there is a HOW TO area on how to do Flames and even a printable test flame...i dont it on a few cars and even a "r/c" car lastnight...hope it works out for you
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

D

DenB.

Thanks, i've been using that type of flame pattern for quite a while. What i'm looking for i ran across on a guys site i can't remember which one right now , i;ll try to find it again and post it so everyone can see what i mean. Thanks again. DenB

T

TAZ

You might be talking about the flames that are all airbrushed on where there is no masking involved?!

grin.gif

T

TWISTED

Realistic flames take a little practice. I have done them on test panels but not on a real paintjob yet.
Basically you start out airbrushing the general design in white. This gives you a good base to lay your colors over. When the white base is done it should look a little like a black and white picture. You then use this as a guide to lay out the colors, layering them together so they blend from color to color smoothly. after you are satisfied with the effect go to a shadow color to darken it up and define the flames a little. I use a mix of candy rootbeer and violet. This is what I use for all of my shadows, it looks more natural than black or grey.
Keeping some good reference pics close by is a must.
Hope this gives you a little help.

D

DDG

Mike Lavallee is who originated this type of flames.

What he does is, well there's two ways of doing it.
First, you can lay out your flame design with white, like Twisted said, it should look like a monochrome painting. Then go in with your yellow, after that, put a "glow" around the edges with a medium orange.
Keeping within the flame licks at all times.
You don't want them to become fuzzy with overspray.
Next lightly blend in some red-orange on the edges. When blending, you don't want to completly cover the other colors.
For extra depth, redo every step but change the shape of the flames a little bit. Like if one was going over the other. Lastly, blend a little white in the centers of some of the licks for the hot-spot of the flame.
Remember, the darker the color the farther away the flame will appear. So you might have the closer flames more yellow than orange.
Now, the other way involves candy toners.
Spray your flame shapes with a yellow, push them back with a tangerine candy,
and maybe some apple red candy, for more depth yet.
Come back with a lightened yellow and spray your next layer of flames, this time using the tangerine toner darken them,mostly the edges, but not to the extent of the last layer.
Now come in with some light yellow add another layer, this time only a few for the really close flames. Do a light fade of the tangerine candy on the edges.
And lastly a few hot-spots with white, but not too many, don't want to overkill with highlights.
These techniques work best with dark color bases. Black, dark candies, etc.
Well, if you made it this far you're ready to try them out. Good luck with them and practice, practice, practice!
Who knows, maybe you'll come up with your own style.
Dirt

T

TAZ

Thanks Jim!
Just got both emails...yours and Dirts (I get emailed on all posts).

I took care of the link.
I think Dirt's description says it all about the "real flames"...pretty cool though!!!

Please remember...Custom Flame Painting by Attitude Custom Painting is my full time business (and I mean full). I have had the "Flames Board" up since day one (when it started as a very small "How-To" Flames section on my e-Parts Source site.

Thank you for your participation!
cheers.gif

D

DenB.

Scott did ya ever think your site was going to be so successful? this is terrific. Thanks to all for the info/help as soon as i get back to the garage i'll start on these flames -can't wait- i'll let ya know how they turn out. DenB
bigokay.gif

D

DenB.

That's exactly it. thanks much gents. as my 16 year old says( in what ever language he's speakin' these days)
haha.gif
you guys are the bomb

T

TAZ

Denb
The site is doing great...definately better than I thought it would..Best of all though, the business is doing even better

Outlaw...
sent you my address.

Tanks!
Scott

rex

there's another style I have a pic of somewhere.The first set of flames were taped out and sprayed with a few different pearls then another set layed differently on top and sprayed with a few more pearls.When you look at it the pearls change between the colors as you move and it looks as if the flames are crawling,very cool effect.I'll see if I can find the pic.

D

DenB.

Scott, An all around great job keep it up. I saw in a posting awhile back which is SO true on this site there are no dumb questions because everything is right here either in posted question or through the search mode this has been needed for a long time.

Rex, I look forward to seing the pics. sounds awsome.

outlaw, any more pics. on the helmet? also too cool. Thanks again to all.
DenB.
bigokay.gif

O

outlaw17

That was just a picture I found , I never painted it . I just did my very first Helmet about a week ago that had no flames and I'm about to work on the second that will have flames , so when its done I'll post some pictures .

T

TWISTED

I was going through some old issues of my airbrushing mags and found an article by Mike Lavellee. He does a step by step demo of the realistic flames. If you are interested it is
Airbrush Action magazine, October 2000 issue, pg. 52.
bigokay.gif

Hope this helps. The mags website is www.airbrushaction.com

D

DenB.

TWISTED, I contacted the company Thanks to you as well as all with input. VERY much appreciated. DenB.
yesnod.gif

rex

How about now?I'm on another computer and the link has me as a guest.Click on the Willies pic and then hit 'full size' right above the pic.For some reason the ubb code wont let the pix come thru so I have to link to them.

D

DenB.

Thanks Rex got a look at'em i guess at times we're all tech chall
freak.gif
anged