Raised Emblems

J

JAMMINJ

THE BEST WAY TO GET A CONSISTANT FACTORY LOOK IS TO DO WHAT THE FACTORY DOES, COMPLETE THE FINISH AND THEN ASSEMBLE. APPLY YOUR EMBLEMS AFTER CLEAR COATING AND POLISHING. IF YOU CLEAR AND THEN APPLY THE EMBLEMS BEFORE POLISHING YOU RISK DAMAGING THE EMBLEMS AND YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE EMBLEMS TO GET A FLAT CONSISTENT POLISH. IF YOU APPLY THE EMBLEMS AND THEN CLEAR, THE CLEAR WILL FORM A BRIDGE BETWEEN THE EMBLEM AND THE SURFACE NOT ONLY LOOKING POOR BUT MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE THE EMBLEM WITHOUT PEELING THE CLEARCOAT. JUST BE SURE TO CLEAN ALL THE COMPOUND AFTER POLISHING TO MAKE SURE THE ADHESIVE WILL HAVE A CLEAN SURFACE TO STICK TO.

Hyme

Thanks JAMMINJ

I didn't think I should clear over the emblems but I need some expert advice.

What would be a good product to remove the polish residue before applying? Is rubbing alcohol sufficient?

J

JAMMINJ

AFTER RINSING THE ABRASIVE OFF WITH A QUICK BATH AND DRYING, WIPE ON GREASE AND WAX REMOVER, BEFORE THE SOLVENT FLASHES DRY THE AREA WITH A CLEAN DRY TOWELL, THIS SHOULD LEAVE A CLEAN DRY SURFACE TO APPLY THE EMBLEM. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE GREASE AND WAX REMOVER RUBBING ALCOHOL SHOULD WORK FINE.

G

guest01

First of all the question is how long do you want your paint job to last. If you consistently wash your bike with pressure these emblems will peel. And yes if you want the factory look, then apply after you clearcoated the paint and it has dried. Remember if your going for that custom look. Then you want to do something that not all factory bikes have. If you can draw out your design then paint it, then you got custom. But if you're going for factory then just do what is said above.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Hyme

I'm in the process of painting my Harley. I've got my fenders completed and now I'm working on the tank. To finish the job I have two H-D bar and shield raised emblems (one for each side). I was wondering how to apply these.

Do I finish clearcoat and polish then apply them?
Do I apply them and apply clear over the emblems and the tank?

Any suggestions from anyone with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. I just would like the emblems to appear factory applied.

By the way, thanks to this site I was able to do a professional looking paint and ghost flame job with ZERO experience other than the instructions posted.

G

guest01

First of all if you can draw out your design, not only can it be centered more quickly you got a one of a kind look, If you still mant to use the factory stuff, I always use a compass and measure from side to side as well as from top to bottom. Dont forget the tape measure though or you wont have the same look on both sides. If you can draw your design out. And if your tank is already clearcoated. Then color sand it with 1000 grit,lay down your design ans paint it. Then your ready to clear it again. Remember that some adhesives out there will cause your clear to react and crack. So be careful what you use and how much you apply.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

J

JAMMINJ

MAYBE I'M CONFUSED. I THOUGHT WE WERE APPLYING EMBLEMS. OR ARE WE DISCUSSING DECALS?

rex

I think emblems,the chunk of plastic or metal with double sided tape right?Don't clear over these!Do what JAMMINJ said,but I like to wait a few days to put them on.Decals are better cleared in,but make sure they can be by asking.Even some of Harley's can't and do weird things if you do.

Hyme

I guess I used the wrong term with "factory look". I meant "professional look". There want be anything factory about this paint job.

One more question on the emblems. Is there a good product out there that lets you position the emblems where you want them before the adhesive attaches? Seems like I have seen some products that you put on the adhesive and you can slide it around. Apparently the stuff evaporates.

Thanks for the input

Hyme

JAMMINJ is right on target. These are raised emblems not decals. The emblems are curved to the surface of the tank that will help in centering and positioning them.

I still need some help on the how to be able to move them around without the adhesive sticking. I don't want to take a chance of putting one on cocked and not being able to adjust it.

Anyone have suggestions on techniques or products that will make this easier?

Thanks

J

JAMMINJ

I THOUGHT I WOULD ADD JUST A LITTLE MORE DETAIL. TEAR OFF FOUR STRIPS OF TAPE AND PLACE THEM LOOSELY ON THE TANK (SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRY TO HOLD THE EMBLEM WHILE YOU UNROLL THE TAPE) GET THE EMBLEM WHERE YOU WANT IT, PLACE A STRIP AT THE TOP HORIZONTAL EDGE AND THEN REPEAT AT THE BOTTOM EDGE OF THE EMBLEM, NOW PLACE TAPE VERTICALLY RIGHT AND LEFT OF THE EMBLEM. APPLY THE EMBLEM ALIGNING WITH VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL LINES. THIS SHOULD GET THE EMBLEM RIGHT WHERE YOU WANT IT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

J

JAMMINJ

I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH A PRODUCT THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO SLIDE THE EMBLEM AROUND. WHEN APPLYING A DECAL A LITTLE SOAPY WATER WILL LET YOU MOVE THE DECAL A LITTLE BUT IS ACTUALLY USED SO YOU CAN SMOOTH OUT AIR POCKETS IN THE DECAL . WHAT I WOULD DO IS; BEFORE REMOVING THE BACKING FROM THE ADHESIVE STRIP, GET THE EMBLEM EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT IT, MAKE REFFERANCE MARKS WITH A COUPLE PIECES OF MASKING TAPE, WHEN YOU ARE SATISFIED, REMOVE THE BACKING FROM THE ADHESIVE AND APPLY USING THE REFFERANCE MARKS YOU MADE.