Questions on my new booth

flamethrower

Hey all,
I finally bought a house with a huge garage and am now trying to figure out how to set up my booth. For my paint booth and mixing area I have a 16 X 35 RV garage with a 12 X 12 door and drains in the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of booth I can buy and what kind of compressor I should buy? I want a heated draft style professional booth and a relatively quiet compressor big enough to handle the whole shop area. This is going to be used quite a bit as a side biz after I retire so I want a good quality set up. Thanks for your expert advice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

FT

P.S. No more waiting my turn for the local junior college booth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

S

Squirt

Ihave just recently found this Flames board,very helpful.I am a newbie to all types of painting. I found this other site very helpful on many items. They even have "very" detailed shop instructions, like things you want and dont want. Be sure to check out their bullitin board too..................................................... http://autobodystore.com/

rex

16x35?NIce.I want to say 'my' booth is 14x27 but not positive.This depends on the door you have,if it's a rollup I'd sell it and make barn doors.Then I'd finish off the inside with fireboard or sheetrock with plenty of lights and cut it back to 30 or so feet,the remainder can be your mixing room with the intake or exhaust and that's where your man doors are to enter from the outside and between the booth and mixing room.I think the intake would be best there.At the front door with the barn door setup,build a wall right inside for the booth entry and set up an exhaust like a Binks crossdraft with the exhaust at the entry doors-a square box up each corner(or triangulate the corner) with your arrestors there on eash side of the door and the adjoining chamber and exhaust fan are on top.This way any dirt that gets sucked past the closed outside doors and the booth doors goes directly out the exhaust without being drug across your work.Your intake is coming out of your little mixing area and if need be make a filtered 'screen' door for the outside mixing room door if you need more intake air.The heat setup is beyond me but you could plumb in a central heat and air unit into the mixing room,air is something I'd give my left nad for.You could also rig a recycle duct with an adjustable wastegate to feed back into the mixing room so all the heat or air isn't getting sucked out the stack.Expensive but from what my peabrain is picturing it would be very cool.Sure beats $60K for the real McCoy and would work damn near as good.For a downdraft setup build your exhaust banks down the sidewalls at the floor and put the intake filters in the roof.I think a crossdraft would be just as clean though.If you decide not to do it let me know,I'll be up to get the garage for myself.

flamethrower

Rex, thanks for the suggestions. You know you're welcome to come on out, I can even put you up while you're here, but the garage has got to stay. (Don't tell my wife, but it's the only reason I agreed to buy this place.) What about compressor suggestions. I found a quiet 7.5 HP Ingersoll-Rand but they want $5,500 for it! I know I can find something cheaper than that. Any ideas?

FT

rex

Holy cow,don't buy that!Do you guys have a Sam's Club?They get some good deals at times on adequate compressors and Lowes or Home Depot are the same way.The big thing you want is a 2stage pump,80 gal tank and either a true 5hp or 7.5hp.The CFM is very important,if it pumps at least upper teens at 100psi or more you'll have plenty at normal operating pressures.I saw a DeVilbiss 7.5 at Home Depot last yoer thet threw over 20cfm at like 100psi and it was only $900 and change,I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not buying it.If i get out your way I'll take you up on that,I'll even help you work in that setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

flamethrower

Cool. Thanks again for the info. And just let me know when you're coming out this way. The wife and I'd be happy to have you.

FT