question about a custom flame job I have been considering

B

boodaa

I have a convertible 67 ford galaxie that I am going to get painted very soon. I know I want flames on it and have narrowed it down to two ideas: just the pinstrip outline of flames-I have seen this and like the look. My second idea involves a custom color that I have heard called Hell Red. It pretty much looks like high gloss black except when light is shining directly on it then a deep red tone shines through. How is this type of paint job done and would it be possible to get flames done that way? If you can do them let me know cause I live in florida and would drive to get them done

T

TAZ

To be honest with you, I haven't heard of that color, but here is my guess on how it's done to get the effect.

First you need to put on a dark color, most likely a black metallic or a very dark charcoal, then you need to apply a candy red over the black or charcoal base color. Then of course you would need to clear it.

The effect would be a very dark red, but when light or the sun hits it, the metallics would really light up giving it a candy effect. I believe this is the effect you are talking about.

Doing the flames this way would be no problem, but I would suggest already having a black base paint job on the complete car. You would pretty much end up with ghost flames then.
If your car had a black base, you would then lay out your flames, then spray some metallic over the flames, then spray the candy, then clear the complete car. If you sprayed the candy straight over the black, it would not give it much effect. You would have to have some type of "flakes" or metallic to make it stand out.

Scott