Problem with clear

C

ckimble

Thanks to your How-To section, I am planning on doing a flame job on my motorcycle. I have been practicing on a couple of different things before I rip my scooter apart. I have had a lot of success getting the base on, masking and painting the flames, but when I apply the clear I get an orange peel effect. It takes alot of wet sanding and polishing to make the finish smooth. I guess I am looking for any kind of tips to avoid all this extra work. I am using PPG DCU2082 clear with DCU2085 activator mixed 2-1 like the directions say. I have seen in other posts you speak about using a reducer with the clear, with this line of clear, would using a reducer help? what kind should I use? and what ratio?

Thanks,

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Craig Kimble ]

T

TAZ

Craig,
It sounds as though you are either moving the gun too fast, or you are holding the gun too far from the panel, or even a little of both. The problem could also be in your gun adjustments. I would recommend setting the fan adjustment (top adjustment) all the way open, then open the fluid adjustment (just below the fan adjustment) about half way). Keep pulling the trigger while adjusting this and make sure the handle goes in about 1/2 way.

The above adjustments are for a siphon feed spray gun. Most likely this is the type you are using.

Keep in mind these this is only basic instructions as there are quite a few other variables that come into play for the actual spraying of paint and clear. These are just my recommendations. Also, each painter sprays and holds their gun away from panels differently.

It takes practice, but you have to hit the happy medium of not too dry and without any runs.
grin.gif

Glad you are putting the Flames How-To section to good use!!!!

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Scott F ]

C

ckimble

Thanks for the tips, I am going to try a few different things, I think you might be right on when you said open the fluid about 1/2 way. I have been pretty conservative when it comes to the fluid setting. Time to kick it up a notch...

T

TAZ

In fact, I set my fluid adjustment all the way open, but I move my gun alot faster then most painters which compensates for the wide open adjustment.

I hold the gun about 8 inches from the surface. I also move a little slower on the horizontal surfaces.
Just a little more for you to think about
grin.gif

B

Buster

An old harley mechanic I ran into recently really helped me out with my "Garage, low light, new to painting tanks and fenders, new gun, don't really know what i'm doing problem" with a great tip. He showed me how to hold a drop light over my shoulder with my non-painting hand and you can really see the lines of the clear flowing so you can see and adjust your spray. give it a try and you will be amazed at what you see happening. If it was not for this gentleman and this board I would still be wet-sanding 95% of the time.
grin.gif

C

ckimble

This is exactly why I love this site!!!

Thanks for the tip from someone who is another "Garage, low light, new to painting tanks and fenders, new gun, don't really know what i'm doing" hack.

-Craig

B

Billy d

a tip on distance for a siphon feed gun.
If you're spraying with your right hand open your left hand and spread your fingers. The right distance between the gun and the surface should be the distance between the tip of your pinky finger to the tip of your thumb. At least it works for me.
good luck