Preping prior to painting

trikypaint

Sometimes, no matter how much you wipe or clean your panels before spraying, there seems to be renegade stains that show through the final coats of finish, or even contamination while you're spraying that seems to come from nowhere. One way of making sure that you have your substrate as clean as possible is to use a glass cleaner as a pre-cleaner before your final wax & grease remover steps. Just a simple "spray on-wipe off" will give you added cleaning action against organic contaminants like dirt and fingerprints that solvent wipes won't normally touch. an added benefit from this step is the elimination of static surface charges that will draw lint into your paint. Give it a try!

S

shaunboy

Awsome suggestion!!!!!!!!!!
bigokay.gif

rex

I'll have to try it,I'm getting tired of spraying my antistatic as an extra step.Thanx man.

G

Grashopr

Tricky..do you have any specific brand name that you have used and has a history of not leaving any weird chemical reactions????

The 'hopper

trikypaint

Grashopr, sorry for the delay. I personally been using 409 Glass & Surface Cleaner for two yrs. now and I have seen alot of benefits from using it without any disappointments. Its easy to apply, leaves no streaks/stains and cleans the surface to satisfaction (plus what was mentioned earlier). You will still need to apply wax & grease remover afterwards, but that will be more quicker/easier also. I haven't had any sort of chemical reaction with it as far as paint/clear and wished I would have used it long before. Try it out!
smile.gif

C

ckoski

A lot of painters don't realize that wax and grease remover doesnt take off all contaminants, they also need to use a water based cleaner to take off fingerprints, birdcrap, and etc!

M

myfamiliacc

Iv been using rubbing alcohol after the wax and grease remover. I spray it on with a spray bottle and wipe with a clean finishing cloth, than tack cloth after words before painting. I haven't had a fingerprint problem since. I like the sound of the glass cleaner idea, and plan to try it on my next job.