practice

B

bluesguy

Can anybody tell me a good surface to practice on? I cant keep spraying my helmet and tanks over and over. Do they sell a type of paper or plastic that would simulate a painted finish to practice on? I have my eye on the refrigerator but my wife would kill me Thanks,Bluesguy

Stretch

Go to a local sign shop and pick up some sign blanks. They are usually about 18"x24". Usually they have a white finish so just scuff and paint.

-Stretch

Ultra Al

I bought some sign blanks but they were $10 apiece from the local sign shop. If I want to do a signature piece for the portfolio thats what Ill use. Now for the other stuff, like experimenting with true fire etc; well call me a cheapskate but what I did was got some cookie sheets made out of some kind of metal, who knows, for a buck apiece from the doller store. I also have part of a gallon of old primer from NAPA. A few ounces of primer and laquer thinner is enough to blast both sides of about 10 cookie sheets. Sometimes you can find metal trays in the doller store also. AL

B

bluesguy

Thanks, I still have alot to learn. I bought this kinda plastic corogated sign blanks and createx paint to practice with. But I find its to slow to dry, and close work kinda blows around. I think I need to try some solvent based paints. Thanks

A

alienboy

Handicap signs are perfect for practicing on. I find a ton of them in parking lots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yikes02.gif

Ultra Al

Just be careful with your overspray, you might do a stipple effect on the eyeglasses of a passerby in a wheelchair. AL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflmao.gif

FlyingColors

I had my mother-in-law who loves to go to garage sales buy the old metal TV dinner lap trays. They worked grat for practice Plus I turned around some of them and made a few bucks off of it.