plastic or fiberglass spoiler on Honda Prelude

Scout1

Hi Everyone, New to the forum and want to slowly get into painting as a hobby and to bond with my son. We picked up a mint rear spoiler for his Prelude we have been putting together. His car is black and the used spoiler is bright red. A short lesson on steps to paint it black would be helpful. I am a beginner but have done some pretty good rattle can jobs. Should we sand it down to get rid of the red or just rough it up to take the gloss of of it. I know I am asking a lot. But a short primer is what I need. We like DIY so I don't really want to take it to a shop.

Thanks for any help.

Ed

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

Basically you'll want to sand the complete spoiler so it's dull - 320 is a good grit. You can just hand sand it if you don't have a DA.
Be sure and get any chips and scratches out.
So you'll need a sheet or 2 of 320 9x11" sheets. Carefully tear those in half (or cut them). Then tri-fold them.

Once sanded you can wipe down with a pre-paint cleaner (I like DX330)
Blow it and tack it off.

Then paint it in your choice of paint
Basecoat/clearcoat or single stage

Those are some of the basics to get you started.

Scout1

Thanks Taz. So just knock the glaze off the original paint, fix any scratches then prime and paint? Or should we take it down to remove the red paint and then prime and paint? Thanks for your advice.

Ed

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ed
Basically you'll want to sand the complete spoiler so it's dull. Just sand until there is no shine.
320 is a good grit to do this.
It also will help if you tri-fold the paper (half sheets), then keep your hand flat while sanding (except for corners and tight spaces)

RobS

What about testing the paint on the spoiler first to see what it is... hitting it with new paint might make it fry. Acrylic thinners first. Two pack thinners next. see what happens.