Pencil on Primer????

BeoBob

Will using a soft graphite pencil on primer affect adhesion or cause any other problems?

Trying to layout a symmetrical pattern on curved motorcycle parts is difficult without some lines for guidance. Designing just one side takes me seventeen tries. I want it to look good, but have never done this before. I over work the tape and put finger prints all over the part.

So here is what I have in mind. Design/layout one side using fine line tape. Next step is to make a rub of the design. Tape paper in place over the design and use the edge of the pencil to make a copy. Then use an exacto knife to cut the design out. Remove overworked tape from the part and wash thoroughly. Tape the template down to the left side and lightly trace the design onto the part using the graphite pencil. Flip the template for the right side and trace again. Then just follow the pencil marks with fresh fine line tape.

I have tried this on the front fender and laying the tape with the marks was a breeze.

chopolds

I do it all the time. Minimum amounts of marking, though, just to be safe. Totally avoid markers, as the ink can 'witness' up through the paint on top.

BeoBob

Awesome. Any specific type of led to use or avoid? Or does it even matter? I have a couple of artsey compressed graphite ones that are real soft.