Painting Remote Controlled Airplanes...

R

rcpilot04401

Hi all..first of all, love the sight. This may or may not be a little off subject, since most of this sight is dedicated to bikes. Alright for the question(s). I bought a badger Anthem to paint my planes because it's suppose to be used on a variety of different applications, and also up here in Maine there isn't a wide selection, but then I've read somewhere that the Anthem is mostly used for T-shirts because to shoots out so much paint. Does anyone have any experience with Anthem, enough to tell me on whether or not I can spray onto Monokote, the hard plastic that covers the planes. The second question I have is...do you know if these paints are "fuel proof", the fuel used in model airplanes is a mixture of nitro-methane and caster oil. I do know that the makers of some plane models make paints and say that their fuel proof, but wanted to find out if any of you out there might know if "all paints are the same". Sorry for the lenghtly questions, like I said..a total newbie here..and any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

rex

I can't help you much but the paints will be different for fuel resistance.That fuel sounds wild,most of the engines I've seen run a nitro/alcohol mix,they must be some pretty badass engines.Have you tried any radio controlled forums for info?

T

Tenacious C

Here's a link to an RC place that sells PPG in small quantities just for RC airplanes. They should be able to help you out.

Radiosouthrc

K

kylelord

If you guys are talking about glow fuel, it's a mixture of alchohol, caster oil, and small amounts of nitro-methane. Just a thought, but you could monocote your airplane, scuff it with one of those scotch pads, and airbrush on that. Afterwards you could shoot it with some clear Lustercote. I did a flame job for a small airplane with different colors of monocote and it stuck well. I would imagine that if you went easy on the clear Lustercote wouldn't harm the airbrushed paint.
Kyle

Austin

I painted a R/C helicoptor about a month ago. This was a really nice unit, it suggested using automotive urathanes for best durability, which is what I would have used anyway. I also cleared over the decals so they wouldn't come off.