paint guns

J

John Boy

I recently purchased some used spray guns (DeVebliss, Binks, and Sharp). I need to know what relations the numbers on the air nozzle, fluid nozzle, and needle have to the type of paint I am spraying. Like do the higher numbers go with primer or a clear. Which needles go with which air nozzles, and fluid nozzles? Does anyone know of a good web site that has information on this type of stuff? Trying to learn to do a little painting. Thanks for the help.

ezrider

John, as far as tips and heads go usally for base coat use a 1.2 or a 1.3 tip, head, and needle. for clear coat 1.4 or 1.5 and for primer a 1.5 should do the trick. these are just my prefrances but they work for me.
bigokay.gif

J

John Boy

Thanks for your reply. This is what I have, I got several guns, a few complete, and some in parts. Looks like the needle were in thinner to be cleaned. DeVibliss type MBC, air nozzles are #’s 58, 45, 30, and 80. Fluid Nozzles are AV-115-E-8, AV-2115-E-18 .070. Needles are MBC-444-E. Sharp Model 971, air nozzles are 6 or 9, and a T. Fluid nozzles are 70. Binks Model 2001, air nozzle 66SA. Fluid nozzle 66SP. Needle 565. Trying to make one good primer gun, which one would you choose? Which of these guns would be best for color and which for clear? Thank you very much.

ezrider

John, i use the sharpe sgf 98 and sharpe cobolt i really cant give you any info on the models you are looking for i have been using these for a while now and they are pretty much the ones i know off hand. i am sure if you visit the manufacters web sites you can pick up a little info there or may be Scott, Rex or Shaunboy can jump in here and put you in the right direction.

rex

Hey John.I can help a little on the MBCs.I need to check my tips because it seems you're missing a letter,but I'll let you know tomarrow.The 80 cap is probably best for primer but let me check my tip first.The 30 isn't bad at all but it will really break up the material compared to the 80 with the same tip.Seems to me the tip in mine was a 15-EX,and on the large size,guessing in the 1.5-1.6 range.I played with different combos and always went back to the EX and 80 cap,but once the first generation of high solids got thicker,I went to gravity feeds.They're right in line for primer though as long as the price is right as in your case.Will get back with you tomarrow.

S

shaunboy

JOHN BOY .
THESE ARE MY GUN SETUPS [BUT,MY PREFERENCE ONLY]
PRIMER/FILLER - DEVILBISS FINISHLINE 1.8MM
BASECOAT,METALLIC - DEVILBISS GTI 1.4MM
CLEAR/SOLID COLOR DEVILBISS GTI 1.6MM

CAN ANYONE TELL IM A DEVILBISS FAN
haha.gif
haha.gif
haha.gif

rex

Ok,I got them.Both are setup the same.The fluid tips are AV-15-EX and the needles are 496-D-EX.Looking closer at the tips these might be in the 1.8 range.Like I said before,I haven't used them in years and got rid of the extra stuff a long time ago,so I can't compare to what you have.If I remember right the tip and needle #s should match,like both mine saying EX.Could be a different system used now,I don't know.Sorry I couldn't help you more.I haven't seen the 58 air cap,but the 30 will atomize the finest,then the 45 (general purpose),and the 80 is a hoser.There are a few people that use the 86 cap off a gravity feed,and a rep talked me into getting one and said it will work with my setup.He was full of crap and luckily isn't a rep any more.All it did was pulverize the paint into overspray.I should have known better.

K

kevsLX

ezrider, does that Sharpe Cobalt gun do a good job laying down high solids clear?
I'm looking to step up from my Harbor Freight gun, but not quite ready for a $450 Sata yet.