paint curiosity

G

Garry

This may sound strange because I'm no painter by trade but have attacked the project of flaming my bike to a certain degree of success. First of all, I have a nice basecoat, used PPG DBC black, got real comfortable with 3M blue fine-line tape, 1/8" for the flame layout. My "question" is, due to the small amount of paint used to shoot the flames or any other graphics for that matter..weighed against the price of the paint and the fact that distributors in my area will only sell most colors in quarts,I was curious if it would be feasible to use any of the "touch-up" paints on the market or maybe some of the "hobby-paints" such as Tamiya..they have some really nice colors out..also at a fraction of the cost I would spend on a quart, of which I would only use a few ounces. I beleive most of these paints are acrylic-enamels and the PPG base-coat I am using is an Acrylic-Urethane which I wonder would be a paint combatibility problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
confused.gif

T

TAZ

Good idea, but one of the biggest problems I see (as you also mentioned) is the compatibility problem. You basically have a "true" basecoat, then you are applying non-catalyzed acrylic enamel over the basecoat. I then assume you are going to spray a catalyzed clear coat over the basecoat and the enamel flames. Eventually the non-catalyzed enamel will either, cause the clear to crack, wrinkle, or delaminate.

With some clears, you may even have a problem right off the bat when you try spraying over the non-catalyzed enamel. Doing this may cause the enamel to lift, or wrinkle, thus really creating a mess.

Touch up paints are basically made to be applied as "single-stage" paints, made to be air-dried. Even if you were to let your touch up paint air dry long enough, the clear coat could "loosen" it up, giving you problems.

You mentioned that your local paint store only sells most paints in quarts. Possibly they were trying to sell you a higher quantity then you really wanted. I see no reason why they wouldn't want to sell you a basecoat in pints. Our local store does this (Finishmasters) Most of these pint paints should run in the $20-$45 range, thus making it a little more feasible instead of using the touch-up paints.

R

RAD Airbrush

I have been using Createx Auto Air paint with great results. As long as you use a good clear coat over it , it is very inexpensive and works well on aotos, helmets, bikes etc. I usually order it from this supplier. They have a large variety of colors and I believ first time customers get a free how to video. Good luck, RAD
http://www.bearair.com/
smile.gif

G

Garry

Hey Rad, thanx for the response. Funny you mention Createx Auto-Paints. I actually ordered 2 Chameleons, the Blue and the Purple. To my surprise, these are water-based paints.They shoot clear, kinda "cloudy-milk" in color, recommended to be shot over a black base-coat, then when light hits it, it "comes to life", sounded great, shot it, hit it with acrylic enamel clear, curdelled it up like "Sour-Milk"...needless to say I stripped the tank. What kinda clear you shootin? Thanx

G

Garry

Scott, thanx for the fast response. I failed to mention I did my base-coat in a pint, it's the top-coat colors these jokers say they will only mix in quarts. It's not really the "price" that really bothers me, but the "waste" , I'll never use a quart of color on a flame job for a bike. Guess it's just time to shop around some more. By the way, great web-page, thanx again.

R

RAD Airbrush

I used an off the shelf PPG clear coat. Don't know the number off the top of my head. Put the first coat on real light and then two heavy coats. Never had it peel up like you did.I know if you put that chameleon paint on too thick it doesn't look as good though. Left mine on pretty transparent. Good luck , RAD

G

Garry

Hey Rad, I gotta ask ya, what do you use as a reduver for that Createx Chameleon Paint?..seein how it's a water-base, Alcohol? or do you just shoot it right from the bottle?...I wonder, did you ever use this paint for a flame job?, think it would work out pretty cool, I have the Blue and Purple still laying around. I like the idea of this paint for ghost flames, but had a bad experience with it and wound up stripping down my tank. Also, I'm gonna assume the PPG Clear you shot was an acrylic urethane right?...Thanx

F

foomangoo

I've used Createx on motocross helmets with dupont chromaclear on top. Works great, altho when I used the purple or blue irredescence colors it bleeded into the clear. I believe Troy Lee Designs uses Createx or House of Color on their helmets. Used dupont variprime primer. Just thought I'd interject.

<center>
helmet.jpg

G

goteeman

Garry mentioned difficulties in buying small quantities of urethane paint...I'm not pitching Coast Airbrush, but the sell I believe 4 oz. bottles of HOK urethane paints and sell mixed colors in different kits. Createx AutoAir paints are cheap enough but you have to thin them out to use in most fineline airbrushes. I've used Auto Air and have thinned them with their reducer (not too much as it will become sticky) and water since they are a water based paint (again, not too much).

My question is whether you recommend airbrushing HOK urethanes in a home environment like you can the Createx paints. I've got a really good exhaust system and wear carbon-filtered masks. My complaint on Createx paints is that it still goes on fairly thick, even when thinning. I've seen some great examples using urethane paints, real subtle shading, but don't know about the safety issues using urethanes in a home set up. Any help?

R

RAD Airbrush

I just painted the inner fender wells on my car. Black w/ Chameleon Purple fames. Not sure how to post a picture though. Make sure you added the catalyst and bond all to the Chameleon color. I did not reduce the chameleon color , shot strait from the bottle. The first coat of clear was very light. Then two wet coats. Russ

K

kustomrodder

Hey RAD,
Quick question, when you say to add the catalyst,you're referring to the one provided by the same brand of the clear you are using,is that correct?Or is there a certain catalyst which can be used for different clears from different distributors?
Thanx in advance...

B

blazer73

CREATEX????Arent you suppose to always add catalyst and bond all to any and all Createx paints before you go spraying clear over your work???

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: blazer73 ]