Overspray on MC windshield...and the fix.

B

big stinkie

Kind of off topic, but here goes.

I got a bunch of clearcoat overspray on my motorcycle, including the plastic windshield. (Don't ask how I did it...too embarassed to tell you.) The paint and chrome buffed up easily, but the plastic windshield was another story. It felt like 600 grit sandpaper. Tried glass cleaner, etc, but all it did was scratch the surface and make it nearly impossible to see through at night. I didn't have much to lose, so I elected to try buffing it out. Used McGuire's Swirl Remover 2.0 and a grey 3M waffle pad on a low speed buffer. It came out like new! I figured that a plastic windshield and plastic clearcoat can't be that much different, and my gamble paid off. Worked for me...your mileage may vary.

rex

Damn it Stinkie,you let the cat out of the bag
wink.gif
This is a good fix for an old bug torn shield too.It won't make it new,but all that sandblasting and bug skidmarks can be cleaned up for a few more miles.

J

JOANS1TAZFAN

HI MY NAME IS JOAN .
I AM INTO AIRBRUSHING I DID TAZ ALL OVER MY 1986 JEEP COMACHE AND NOW I AM GETTING A HONDA SHADOW BIKE AND I WANT TO STRIP IT AND PAINT IT JET BLACK WITH FLAMES AND TAZ ON THE SIDE AND TOP OF THE TANK BUT I'M AFRAID THAT I WILL MESS IT UP. I CAN'T DRAW AT ALL I HAVE A OVERHEAD POJETER BUT I CAN'T FINED PHOTOS SMALL ENOUGH TO TRACE. AND CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT KINED OF PAINT AND CLEAR WOULD BE GOOD WITH WATER BASSED ACRELLICS SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
confused.gif

rex

Hi Joan,welcome.I can't really help with the waterbased stuff other than try a test panel.If you do a simple spot in the waterbase and clear it with good urethane clear you'll know right away if they're compatible.Most of the artists around here that work with cars,bikes and helmets use automotive basecoat and clear for their work,but the stuff is expensive.You might get more from others in this or your other post that'll be more helpful.Since you're like me and can't draw,shrink down the copy you have now on a copier or scanner and then trace it to the projector overlay.Sometimes you can change the size considerably by moving the projector closer or farther away if the focus has enough range to clear it back up.Hope some of this helps.