Only come out at night

Sojourner

First, I'm the customer not the painter. I had my Nighthawk painted blue ghost flames. The base color is black and I believe the painter used two shades of gray to achieve the flames. Now the problem. He shot blue candy over the flames and then clear. The flames look great. Not Rembrant but good enough for me. When I took the parts out of his shop into the sunlight I was shocked to see the black base coat had a purple tint to it. Not! At night it looks great under artifical light but in the sun "purple haze". What did he do wrong and how can I fix it? Your help is greatly appreciated.

hoss

well if the candy was cobalt blue, he shot it over the black as well as the silver flamz to achieve this effect. depending on how much candi he used it could have a purple/dark blue tone to the black.

i don't really know what you mean by haze. does it have a cloudy look to it? probably just from the kandi color.

Sojourner

Thanks Hoss. Sorry to confuse the issue. There is no haze. It's just a purple tint to the black where he sprayed the blue candy. Is there another way to get the same effect, blue ghost flames, and still have the base color show black thru the final coat?

T

TAZ

As a painter, you have to add at least one coat of candy over the black to kill the edge of the flames. If you put too much, then the black will have a purple tint to it under certain lighting conditions. If you spray too much blue, then it will be more noticeable
This is course is if you used Cobalt Blue.

All you can do is show the painter, and ask him if he can mask up the flames, and shoot a coat of black on all three parts, then reclear.

Sojourner

Unfortunately he painted natural flames so there is no real defined line to mask off. Is there another option? You mentioned cobalt blue causing a purple tint to the base color black if applied too heavy. Is there a blue you would recommend that does not have that affect whether applied light or heavy? I'm keeping this on a positive note because the painter is an expat like myself and he's learning as he goes. Thanks again for your advise.

T

TAZ

They could still resand all parts, then just airbrush black up to the real fire.

If it's very minimal on when you see the purple tint, you may just want to leave this well enough alone. After all, have you ever seen the black they use on the H-D's under this same lighting. It's very milky looking, and not a true black. Very seldom do you see it showing like this.

sure

also if they are realalistic flames, a technique that is used in that style is putting a candy or a pearl over the flame to give it more of a glow.your painter could have used this technique but instead of just using it over the flamed area he sprayed it over the whole job. just my .02
-sure

YankeeMike

If they are "real Fire" and not "Ghost Flames"... what I would do (if the blue haze is really way noticeable) is to wet sand the clear back down, be real careful not to break thru into the color... and take some of the same basecoat black in the airbrush, and use it to kinda 'erase' the haze. But leave a little of the haze around the blue... it'll look more realistic if you do... once you have erased the haze of the blue you can re-clear 2 coats and walk away. Hope that makes some sense. Just one man's opinion.