Newbie Question about Respirators!

Jenny

hey all! I'm a brand new member of the custom paint community, just starting out, and am excited about finding such a great forum.
My question is about respirators. What is the best one to get? What should I look for in terms of type of filter? What type should I be looking for? I'm a small female and the one I'm using now doesnt seem to fit and plus it's not mine.

I'm painting bicycle frames and am using automotive primer, paint, and clear coat. I'm just starting out and would like to have one that will last me. Thoughts?
Thanks everyone!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jenny,
Welcome to the Custom Paint Forum.
As far as the 'best' respirator, really an fresh air system would be the best. These are the most expensive, but the best. Most of these utilize the air outside the booth.
BUT, from what I've seen most painters use regular charcoal respirators. My painter (and I) use the 3M disposable respirators.

fontgeek

Jenny, you need to get cartridges that will work and protect you from the specific types of paint you will use. Booths and filtration systems are great but I'd still wear a respirator no matter what, that's the only set of lungs and sinuses you get in life.
Get to a good automotive paint supplier and bring a list of what you will be spraying, they can tell you what filters you will need, and can help fit you with a mask or respirator that will fit you and your needs best. Urethanes require different filters or cartridges than enamels. Keep in mind that anything you pull into your lungs other than clean air will do damage to them, so even water colors, acrylics and things that are listed as "Non Toxic" can and will do damage. The "Non Toxic" label refers to you swallowing them not inhaling them.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Good tip! Reallistically the 'best' protection is an air respirator, then a filtered mask would be the best bet...but I still use those 3M disposable masks. At least I hardly spray any more (have my own painter).

:bigokay:

fontgeek

Dust masks are great for dust, but the particulates from the paints is so fine that they and the solvents go right through those dust masks. Yes, you may see some paint gathered around the nose and mouth areas of the mask, but a whole lot goes through to your lungs, throat and sinuses. If you can taste or smell stuff when you spray, then you know that things are getting through those masks. People have died from this exposure, I have known of three people personally. Your first hospital stay will cost more than you getting a new mask and filter set every week for years to come, and the hospital won't be able to get the junk out of your lungs.

Jenny

Thanks!

So I wound up getting a 3m Tekk respirator and it seems to be doing the trick. It's always hard to find stuff that fits a small female...
Thanks for all the advice! hopefully we'll be investing in a supplied air respirator soon:yesnod01:

-jenny

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear Jenny!
Take care of those lungs, you only have one..... set

:bigokay: