New Sharpe FX1000 or uesed SATA Minijet 3000

Fast Jimmy

As a personal hobby I do motorcycle restorations and am in the market for a new HVLP mini gun.

Many years ago I did some car painting and had a set up area in my shop that contained the over spray.
However I don't have that now and have no intention of building a big area just for painting.
Most of the parts I paint are small with the largest part being a frame.

I am currently redoing a 1985 Honda VF1100S (V65 Sabre) that needs less than a dozen small parts painted, the largest being the center stand.

However, my next project is a 1973 Triumph T100R (500 Daytona) that will be a complete frame up restoration so there will be a lot of parts including he tank.

It has been about 25 years since I painted a vehicle but I have used my old gun, a Pratco CH-102 (Binks 7 copy), for some ornamental patio furniture recently and I just don't want to get back into such a over spray / wasted paint set up.

I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Sharpe FX1000 but was today offered a like new SATA Minijet 3000 for $200.
I can get the Sharpe FX1000 shipped to me for about $100. It will cost me about $25 to go get the SATA so I would have about $225 in it.

What are your thoughts on the two considering the cost differences?

If I'm not too sidetracked with farm equipment repair and other chores I will do at the most two bikes a year so I won't be using any gun very much.

On a side note I was offered a new Devilbiss Startingline two gun set for $100 yesterday (and about $10 pickup costs).

Any advice would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks
FJ

PS My compressor setup is adequate for a full size HVLP gun but I know that I will never need to paint anything requiring one.

richrd

I have the fx, and it is fine small parts, but not the best for clearing tanks and fenders. it comes with a 1.0 tip that works good for base but is pretty small for primer and clear. I tryied a 1.4 but still does not lay clear down smooth.

I had the opportunity to try a few high end guns and they really make the fx look bad.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. The smaller guns are great for small projects. Base only. You get into clearing and want a quality job, you should go with a regular gun with about a 1.3 tip.
I use the Iwata W-100 (I have 4 of them). But I don't think they make them anymore, plus they may be out of your range.

Fast Jimmy

Richrd & TAZ;

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.
I continue to research current equipment availability while keeping in mind what my actual needs are.

It does seem from several threads on this and other paint forums that many bicycle and motorcycle painters, both hobbyists and pros, use the SATA Minijet 3000. I came across one thread on this forum where a bike painter had three SATA Minijets and was looking for a fourth who noted that they were his only guns.

The guy who has the used SATA 3000 Minijet has assured me that it is ‘Super clean inside and out’ but I do wonder somewhat if I would be better off to just pay a little more and get a NIB gun.

The local dealer who sells Sharpe, SATA and Iwata felt pretty strongly that my needs would be met with the Sharpe FX1000 knowing that any gun I buy won’t get used very much. He did mention that in a professional environment the Sharpe FX1000 guns seem to lose their equality in a year or so. But again that would be more than a lifetime of use for me.

Anyway thanks again for your input.
FJ