New here

F

FirefighterDave

I'm new here, this is a great site, just what I was looking for. I am a career firefighter and have been thinking about painting as a hobby. I would love to get good enough to even generate a little extra income to support this hobby (motorcycles, tools, etc...). As a teenager I used to paint cars. My Dad ran his own auto mechanic repair shop. I was really interested in auto body and almost went that direction for a career. I never had any formal training in it though, just trial and error hands on. I painted my own junk cars, then my friends junk cars. It was cool, because I made as much as I would have with an after school job, and got to hang around with my dad, using his shop.

I will probably be asking a lot of dumb questions as I get back into this. I only painted with enamels and never anything considered custom. I plan practicing a lot on my days off and trying to develop the skills that many of you guys here have. I would be happy if I could do work half as good as the examples I have seen on this site.

Again great site and thanks in advance.

nyntyproof

A fire fighter / flame painter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif...Soooo ..half the time you'll be getting rid of flames.......The other half you'll be making them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon_wave222.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Either way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/luck.gif

F

FirefighterDave

Kind of ironic...I do have a fascination for flames!

rex

Welcome again.The irony seems normal to me.It just comes with time man.Start getting used to the base/clear scene with generic lines.You have to regun or change an existing gun to spray the stuff but it's the only way now.Things are going to change from solvent to waterbased paints in the next couple,5 years so dig in now so the change isn't a total shock.Sounds like you have at least the basics down so it won't be a big deal.

F

FirefighterDave

Thanks for the information, I have been busy for a few days, Just got back to the board. Hope you guys in Florida are doing alright.

revvinkevin

Hey Dave, I'm a career firefighter as well. This painting is a good way to spend some of the ample time off isn't it? Just wanted to welcome a brother. Have fun.

F

FirefighterDave

Kevin, nice to hear from a brother firefighter. Sorry it took so long to respond, I have been busy and have not been on the board. I am going to give this a better try with winter weather setting in.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink.gif