need painters help

J

John Boy

I need some help from some painters. I have a s-10 that I a getting ready to paint huggar orange. The cab is a dark blue and the bed is red. The man at the local paint store said that I should just put a sealer on before the orange. A friend told me I should paint the whole thing white before the orange so it bring out the true color and help it match. What do yall suggest?

T

TAZ

JB,
Use both.
Put a white sealer on first. This will help 'seal' the old paint job, and also give you great groundcoat color for the orange.

Doing this will help save on $ on the orange since the white base will help the orange cover quicker.

I would suggest using PPG DP white sealer.
Can't remember the product number for white.
Help me out guys
freak.gif

I think DP60?!

M

Mitchb71

just remember that stuff is 50 a quart and is only reduced 2-1 Its gonna get expensive. I had to use 2.5 quarts on my car.. The white doesn't cover dark colors real well.

T

TAZ

Sure beats having to buy the orange at $80/quart (Global) and having to spray about 10 coats of it. In fact, I don't think you can even get the orange to cover the blue portion without have too much buildup.
wink.gif

All this is assuming JB is using a basecoat/clearcoat system. An enamel or urethane would cover better, but should still put a light base or sealer under it.

2idea.gif

JB --If you are using a basecoat clearcoat system, you might want to check out House of Kolor paints (i.e. Tangelo pearl). The average is about $45 a quart

rex

You guys are close,white DP is DP48.Unfortunately it is PPG and like most of their whites,it's a touch transparent.It is a pretty pure white though,the straight mixing tint being about the only thing purer.Definately seal it though,not only will it give you better color holdout,but reds are notorious for bleeding.Orange over red isn't a bad deal,but the blue could throw a kink in things.It costs a bit more but PPGs NCS 2004 (or maybe 2005) grey sealer covers first coat and isn't as porous and prone to topcoat suck in like DP.If you like Nissan's tri stage white pearl,substitute DP48 or staight tint (I think DMD1646) for the white base and it's so clean and bright it hurts your eyes in bright sunlight.