need info

h_georgiou

Hi i am new to this site, i need some help on airbrushes and compressors im about to open a custom paint studio for cars and i need advice on which correct and professional tools to use i'll be painting cars [change of colours] and designs [jap manga style]. there r so many out there that i need the professionals.

Thanx
Helena

martin3294

For auto work I use 2 main airbrushes which cover the majority of my work, IWATA HP-CS and IWATA HP-CH, with these 2 airbrushes your pretty much covered for any custom work, both brushes are great for solvent or waterbased paints. For really fine detailed work a custom micron is a good choice. All IWATA brushes and compressors work brilliantly. I use an IWATA studio series jet pro lite compressor. I am in the UK and really IWATA is the choice of most pros over here., not sure about you americans and your choice of airbrush.

h_georgiou

thanx for the quick reply much appreciated. im actually based in Cyprus so there is not much for me to go by. i was also suggested devilbliss as i looked into the west coast customs site. sorry to ask again but if i go by these 2 airbrushes you say i dont need any thing else.

helena

martin3294

Devilbiss make some nice guns but personaly I dont rate any other airbrush other than Iwata. THey are the standard which everyone sets airbrushes by.
In my opinion you won't go far wrong with the 2 airbrushes I have mentioned. They are professional airbrushes and I am sure a lot will agree with me there is only one name. It is personal choice same as different people like different spray guns. Iwata will last a lifetime if looked after and you shouldnt need any other airbrushes than the 2 I talk about for most auto custom painting.
I make a comfortable living from mine so I swear by them.
try one and see yourself.

hambiskit

I agree- I use Iwata's as well. I would suggest that you research the many models available to fit your needs. They are a little spendy for a lot of guess work.
Good Luck with your venture.

hoss

so your opening a custom paint shop and you don't know which guns you want to use or like??? what have you been using to practice w/??

I have an iwata hp-c. i changed the needle cap (the thing the needle hits to start and stop paint flow) to a .4 instead of a .3. i really like it. i tried the .4 needle but i like the .3 needle better. shoots more material and shoots very fine lines still.

hoss

i think i'm going to get the iwata lph50 touch up gun and get the .6 conversion as well as the 1.0 for it too. i should be well rounded for guns then. i'll have a .2 .3 .4 .6 and 1.0 as well as my basecoat/primer/ and clearcoat gunz

martin3294

Brave

I am a little confused with you opening an auto custom paint shop Helena. Do you already custom paint and want to use an airbrush to do some drop shadows type work? I understand anyone learning as I am in my infancy stage with painting panels. I am a trained graphic artist and do custom auto work freelance for bodyshops. I am learning to paint my own panels now as I have to get the body shops to do my paintwork to enable me to do my graphics and artwork with my airbrushes. I am willing to help you out anyway I can with advice on airbrush work, this site is great for people wanting to share expertise but a word of warning with regards to you setting up yourself with no airbrush experience. It isn't quite so easy as you may think, having the equipement is one thing but using the equipement is another. I would think carefully before rubbing down someones pride and joy and attacking it with an airbrush. If your thinking of using stencils be very aware you need to freehand a lot more than you might imagine. Producing good quality artistic work requires a lot of knowledge of paint mixing and technical know how to be able to charge money for it. I would fully reccomend you practise on old panels first, I may be wrong but sounds like your going out to buy an airbrush and winging it. You could open yourself up to all sorts of law suits if you mess anyones car or bike up. Feel free to ask anything I may be able to help you with just make sure you get enough practice in first.,

h_georgiou

Hi

Thank you very much for the advice, you just scared me.:sillyme:

I am a graphic designer, i do know how to draw but air brush is a new invention!!!!

Im actually starting to train and i intent to master it before i even think about touching someone elses property.

I just didn't know where to start from! Im learning how to mix paint and i have books on how to start, i just have to get down on it!

One more question and please dont think im an idiot, Im just learning.

If i receive a car with a satisfied paint on it and the only thing they want is airbrush design, what doi have to do? do i just need to sand down the lacquer?

How long did it take you guys to train?

Thank you very very much
Helena :think1:

T

TAZ

Helena,
Well since you are a graphic designer, I'm sure you have a creative mind, so this is a great start for you.

As far as prepping a surface before you airbrush it. Several ways to do this...not for sure if you would be using a DA (dual action sander). If you don't you can just 1000 grit the surface (wetsand), then you can do your airbrush work. Once you are done, you can do your topcoat clearcoat.

You may want to get some panels about 2'x3' paint them in a base (black would be good). Then use these test panels. If you mess up, you can just wipe off your work, and start over.

I started painting for about 20 years ago. I don't do much painting now. I have a painter and an airbrush artist. My airbrush guy has been doing it for 13 years now.

Here is an eagle he did a couple months ago

samples.686.5.jpg

Good luck to you!
:luck:

:cheers:

martin3294

Helena
As a fellow graphic artist I can understand your wanting advice on airbrushes, trust me the 2 air brushes are all youl need, also dont skimp with the compressor, the quality and volume of air you need is important for good artwork. lots of cheap compressors around and they are not all the same as some may tell you, buy a decent one now and you won't need to change when your airbrush skills improve or add more airbrushes to your arsenal. Practice panels are good to get your skills up with but flat panels will only give you so much skill test, as you improve on a flat panel then start on tanks and round surfaces as these give you a better feel for layout and design considerations. If I am painting good paintwork then I will usually use either a 1500 paper or a red scotch pad to skuff the surface as you need a key to ensure good adhesion of the airbrush paints, then for me it is off to the body shop to get the clearcoat put back on hence why I am learning to paint and clearcoat my own work as the body shop sometimes has a bit of a waiting time, so makes sense for me to be able to do it for myself. I am virtually there with it but it is taking a fair amount of sanding and buffing for my work to look good. I havent the luxury of a booth but have a home made job at the moment for bike tins. I always use the booth of a bodyshop who contracts me for there artwork. Although if it is small jobs like bike tins I use my own little den to airbrush the work, good luck with your practice Helena and if you need any suppliers for the airbrushes I have lots of contacts to supply you. Don't deal with Iwata direct as you will pay through the nose for them.