Mixing Hok base colors with Kandy Koncentrate

kxmotox247

Anyone ever done this? I've been trying several variations of the product line to come up with a true baby blue. I've tried using BC26 white and have tried two blue SG graphic colors to tint the white. Both of these result in a baby blue that had a purple tint. Wife calls it periwinkle.

Next I tried BC26 white and tinted it with Kobalt Blue Kandy Koncentrate. It also makes a purple shade. I then tried using oriental blue and I hit what appears to be a good shade of a true blue baby blue. So I sprayed a small test piece and it looks great. I was confirming with the tech line that this was okay but it sounds like it is NOT. They believe mixing the BC26 and a Kandy Koncentrate will result in a blotchy paint job. I just don't understand how. Mixed is mixed, right? They said separation of the two products would occur as the base is drying and would result in the blotchy look.

Anyone on here ever try doing this? I suppose I could buy enough to shoot a whole hood and see but I was looking for firsthand experience.

Thanks! Josh

chopolds

I do it a lot. No problems, as long as you limit how much concentrate you use. But in mixing a light blue, you'll never get to a point where there will be too much concentrate. It IS only a dye, not a ready to shoot paint.

kxmotox247

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I think my test sample was about 1 oz white bc26 to 1/4 teaspoon KK04. That makes the ratio about 25:1. A drop of KK at a time dramatically changed the color. The Valspar guy is running a few "tests" to see how compatible the Valspar toners are with HoK bases.

Here is the word he used to describe the possible reaction between the BC26 and KK: Flocculate. New to me....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculation

chopolds

Never used the Valspar stuff, strictly HOK myself! I usually don't like mixing brands (even though they they are the same "company") It's too easy to have problems, even when you do things right!