Looking to paint cycles.

M

moore

This is my first post on this page and I have to say there is some very good info to be found. And having said that, that is why I'm here. I've looked pretty hard at most of the poastings so I hope I'm not asking repeated questions. First, I would like to start painting motorcycle parts as a hobbie and as a possible side job, could any one recomend a good gun set up for this purpouse?( ie. Size of cups,touch up guns full size guns,brands and so on). I dont realy have the cfm to run a hplv(only about 8 to 9 cfm) but I dont know if I should use a gravity feed or siphin feed? Or both? I would like to have a gun for primers/bases and one for clears. Or do I need to? I understand you get what you pay for but I'm not a pro and I dont charge pro prices. What about craftsmans air guns? And one more thing, Is there any alternitive to spending 300+ bucks on a set of cycle paint stands? Thank you very much for being patiant and reading this. Any insight will be more than helpfull

S

seedeucer

I know it may be pricy but I have a Sata Minijet III HVLP touch up gun that requires less than 4 cfm to use. It's great for doing small parts.

Scott has a how-to on making your own parts stand. I've done it and it didn't cost hardly anything.

Jim

Look in the recent posts under"tools of the trade"Many guys have been happy(including myself) about the Finshline III,about 100bucks.at that price,you could have one for each use. Gravity fed,HVLP or conventional.Don't hear much mention of craftsman guns.

M

moore

I found the paint stand how to, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif too cool. As far as the guns the only reason I asked about the craftsman series is because I know there are some hand tools of theres that I would take over topline brands any day( pro series polished end wrenches....hands down the best) . I'd like to know if there guns have the same quality. But thanks for all the input so far, very helpfull

LudicrousSpeed

I would stay away from the cheap guns unless they are just for primer. Sharpe, Devilbiss and Binks are going to have the best bang for buck, IMO. I do not have any experience with the SATAs though.

I would get a gravity feed. I just bought my first a few months ago, after many, many years with a siphon feed. It seems to spray better without spitting and is better balanced.

G0rdyb1ker

I brought a cheap HVLP made by GAV(italian)works great, but then I dont paint anything bigger than gas tanks and fenders. I use it for primer, base and clear just make sure to clean it properly. Graphics come out well but I think this is down to spending time on the layout as much as anything.