Keeping the flame edge "clean"

T

TAZ

Sometimes when you are spraying a thicker paint for your flames like, lets say candy apple (ex:if you use a silver base on the flames with a candy red over the silver), when you pull the tape off, you will notice the bottom color will "roll over" the top color, thus leaving a different color edge. One way to keep this from happening is to spray a "clear base" such as PPG Global's 895 blending clear as your first coat. This way, when you pull up your fine line tape that outlined your flames, the *clear* will be the paint that rolls up and not your silver.

This also works well with "fade jobs", like when you fade from one color to another.

Of course if you plan on having the flames pinstriped, you do not need to worry about this.

Enjoy,
Scott
cool.gif

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Scott F ]

6sec8th

Hey Scott, if you could, would you please help me out. I am two days away from spraying out my current job. HD sheet metal, HOK silverwhite pearl with Red Jade flames. My current plan is to shoot the silverwhite, intercoat for added protection(from myself) light wetsand with 1000 grit, lay flames, dust two coats bc-25 black, then shoot the chromalusion, pull tape, and clear. However the problem is, I am concerned about the black pulling on the edges. Could you expand on your prior posting, I am having trouble understanding what you are describing. Thanks man

T

TAZ

Actually, since you are just spraying enough black just to set a ground coat under the color shift paint, no need to worry. You will also have to spray just enough color shift paint so it is not too thick. I would worry about this more then the black.

The main key is to have a spray gun that atomizes very well and to keep the coats as thin as possibly, but yet, still get the effect that you should have.
There is a very fine line between getting a nice edge and a raised edge... then again... if you plan on having the outline of the flame pinstriped, no need to worry about this, because it will cover the edge.

Good Luck to you!

O

orange peel

I am new to the group and that was worth everything being a member....now thats a trick...