Introduction

BeoBob

I am not a painter, and until about 6 months ago I knew nothing about automotive painting.

About a year ago I decided I was going to have my motorcycle painted. It took me about 6 months to settle on a concept for the paint scheme and pick a painter. Paint scheme was to be “black fire” with a good metallic blue background. My idea of black fire is good coverage of decent sized silver metal flake with black candy over it. I was open to what blue to use. The painter I picked is supposed to be one of the best in my area at painting bikes. I have seen some of his work, work in progress and finished stuff... he does some absolutely awesome work.

I spent a few of hours with the painter over three meetings discussing the design and colors. On the third visit he spent maybe an hour drawing on my bike with a grease pencil to get the design concept dialed in. I thought he had a very good idea of what I wanted. But then when I got the spray out from him it was just soooo weak… a light dusting of tiny silver flake, no candy, and the blue was dark and kind of milky.

And that’s where my interest in learning how to paint started.

I am here to learn what I can about this new hobby of mine. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

chopolds

Welcome, and be patient, it takes a long time, and lots of practice and experience to effectively work with custom paint and get the effects you. or a customer want. Spray outs are your best friend to experiment with different ways to achieve what you have in your head! Just keep track of how many coats, and how you mix it all, so you can duplicate it on your project.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Like ChopOlds says, you have to be patient. There are many different effects that can be done. Also when discussing with a painter, and you want a involved paint job, you need to know the 'lingo'.
i.e what's a 'good metallic blue' a 'decent sized metalflake'. Your interpretation will most likely be different than the painters.
Possibly you can find pics of several jobs and just have the painter 'combine' them so it works out.
Anyway - WELCOME - hope you learn lot's

BeoBob

So this was my first try. rattle can metallic blue, rattle can clear, and dry flake applied with a salt shaker. Painter was not happy about using that thick of flake, concerned about millage and the amount of work he would have to do. Looks deeeep in person tho.

Attachments

• Try 1 11.jpg
    Try 1 11.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

BeoBob

So here's the next try. Again with the rattle can, but the flake is mixed with clear and applied with a brush. I was not happy with the metallic black and the painter was not happy with doing the flake like that.

Attachments

• Flame 7a.jpg
    Flame 7a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 7

BeoBob

This is what I have settled on for the black... effects coat by MIC called Mettasheen over black. By this time I had bought a cheap HVLP gun and learned to use it.

Attachments

• Sheen 5.jpg
    Sheen 5.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 11

BeoBob

And this is what I am playing with for my next project. I found you can spray flake as thick as mud through a 1.0mm tip HVLP gun. Who would have thought....

Attachments

• b photo.jpg
    b photo.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 10

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good. You're going to have to clearcoat over the flake, resand, then reclear again. Then probably resand again if you are putting graphics over it.
Looks great when it's all smooth though !

BeoBob

It went down super smooth to start with, at least compared to doing the flake dry. One sanding with 320 and a good coat of clear and it's like glass.

Hey Taz, I see there are a lot of lookers on this site but not to much action. Is this normal?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the forum is not as busy as it used to be. 5 to 8 years ago, it was super busy !
Still lot's of info though.