Installing LED lights

B

Burton

I'm looking for a HowTo site or some advice on installing some flush mount LED's. I'm thinking about cutting some holes in what ever shape (Oval) and mounting some LED's behind the fender. I know that there has to be a lense mounted right behind the fender but how would you go about mounting the light housing in a way that you could the housing if the LED's go bad? Any suggestions?
confused.gif

ezrider

Usally a two part epoxy is used to hold in the lead lights from behind, or you can try window urethane one of my favorite hold anything together adhesives, you would be suprised at some of the stuff i have put together using window urethane
haha.gif

rex

Yeah man,that urethane is awesome stuff,but wear gloves whatever you do_Once it's on you solvent gets the majority off but whatever melts in to your skin is there until it wears off.It'll glue just about anything but it sure does ruin your hands fast.

B

Burton

Sorry,
Typo on last sentence. It should have read : . (I know that there has to be a lens mounted right behind the fender but how would you go about mounting the light housing in a way that you could take the housing off if the LED's go bad?)?????

Epoxy sounds like a good Idea. I was thinking about fiberglassing(resin) the lens in place and smoothing it out to get a real flush look. Now I can epoxy the back side so I don't have to worry about it moving around while glassing it in. Or is the epoxy transparent and can it be painted over?

ezrider

I need a little more info
What model fender?
What type of led housing ?
Where on the fender?
Some times the light manufacturer will give you some tips?recessed led lighting is usally glued in from behind using an epoxy, and should you have to rermove the assembly you could always very carefully take a die grinder to the epoxied light assembly to remove it from the inner fender with out destyroying the outer paint job.

B

Burton

Ezrider,

Thanks for the reply. You answered my question with the use of a die grinder.
Thanks again for all your help.
cheers.gif

Burton