I think I'm in trouble!

S

Smokinjoe

I think I\'m in trouble!

I shot the clear coat on my bike today. I apparently had the settings on my gun way off. I never worked with urethane clear coat before and my first coat didn't appear to atomize as I was shooting. I laid a wet coat on to allow the clear to flatten out. Now I have runs. I can sand them out but I'm not sure how quickly I will need to apply the next coat to avoid problems. I'm using Omni Clear and I won't be able to shoot the next coat until tomorrow night. Anyone think this will be a problem? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
frown.gif

T

TAZ

Re: I think I\'m in trouble!

I would suggest taking 600 grit DA paper on a DA (dual action sander), then sanding it back down flat. Then you can start over. If you add another coat over the runs and you have quite a few runs, most likely you'll never get them out if you.

600 grit is good to flatten, but yet you will still be able to clear back over without seeing scratches. No need to re-color.

--Make sure you wipe it off with a good cleaner, real good before re-clearing.
--Since you have never sprayed clear before, put on your first coat dry to medium wet, then apply your next coat a little wetter, then your third coat about the same. The first coat helps the clear to "bite" thus help keeping it from running.
--Make sure when you sand with 600, you do not go though the clear. Otherwise, you will have to re-color.
--Make sure you have the proper reducer. If you're up north, I'm sure "fast" or even "extra fast" (if they have it) reducer should be used at this time of the year.
--Make sure you apply the coats of clear when they are tacked up (not dry like the next day)

You can do a "tack test" by applying your finger on a piece of tape right next to the area you just cleared. When you remove your finger, and the clear is "stringy", it is not ready. If it does not leave strings, then you are ready for the next coat.

Hope these help you!

S

Smokinjoe

Re: I think I\'m in trouble!

Thanks Scott excellent info. I'll give it a try. I hope to get the hang of shooting the clear. It's a little different than shooting acrylic enamel. Thanks again for the help.

-Joe