I cannot spray clear coat smooth to save my life.

J

Jay

I try to spray it on light, it's real rough. I try to spray it on heavy, it's smooth but runs. I used reducer in the clear in 2 different ratios 4:1:1 and 3:1:1. Is there a happy medium?
confused.gif
Thanks.

T

TAZ

Jay,
You should always mix the clear (and all paints) as per the instructions. Each clear and hardner have their own viscosity, so the manufactuer knows best for what the mixing ratios should be. I know with the PPG 883 and 884 clears the mixing ratio is 3-1-1.

The problem could also be in your gun adjustments. I would recommend setting the fan adjustment (top adjustment) all the way open, then open the fluid adjustment (just below the fan adjustment) about half way). Keep pulling the trigger while adjusting this and make sure the handle goes in about 1/2 way.

These adjustments are for a siphon feed spray gun. Most likely this is the type you are using.

Keep in mind these this is only basic instructions as there are quite a few other variables that come into play for the actual spraying of paint and clear. These are just my recommendations. Also, each painter sprays and holds their gun away from panels differently.
Hope this helps Jay!

J

Jay

Thanks Scott. Unfortunately there are no instructions as to what ratio to add the reducer. The clear and hardener should be 4:1 though. I'm using a gravity feed gun. Are there any slight variances I should make to what you just said about adjusting the gun? Now I can try to do a good job. Also, is it better to use a foam pad or a cloth (ie wool) buffing pad for the intial buffing w/ a compound? Cloth pads seem to be very difficult to use. Either that or I'm just not putting enough compound on. Thanks again.

T

TAZ

Jay,
Basically, both guns are set up the same as far as the adjustments go. You'll probably just have to keep adjusting until the spray and fluid fits your needs.
As far as the wool pad or foam, I prefer foam. I haven't used a wool pad for about 4 years now. The swirls are easier to get rid of with the foam. Their are also different grades for buffing. I use a medium coarse, then I go over my work with a black "waffle" pad. Keep in mind, I bake all my jobs, so I can usually buff them the same day or the next day. A wool pad would really leave swirls.
I also prefer the Perfect It 3696 (I think that's the 3M part number) polishing compound. Probably the best compound I have ever used. It's gritty, but smoothes out after your run a couple of passes over it. I finish with the Perfect It foam glaze.
Keep in mind, this is buffing PPG's clearcoats. Some clearcoats I know of get rock hard even after a couple of days, therefore you would want to use a coarser foam pad and coarser compound (possibly the Micro-finishing compound).

J

Jay

Thanks again Scott. I'll try the foam pad and the other compound probably.