HVLP

S

shaunboy

THIS TIP COMES FROM NEW ZEALAND BUT I BELIEVE WE ARE RIGHT UP THERE WITH ALL OTHER RICH COUNTRIES AS WELL.
FOR MODERN 2PACK ACRYLIC URETHANE CLEARS AND COLORS, HVLP IS THE WAY TO GO,BECAUSE THE PAINT ITSELF IS MADE FOR THIS APPLICATION.MAINLY FOR ENVIRONMENTAL REASONS.
H = HIGH
V = VOLUME
L = LOW
P = PRESSURE
.... HIGH VOLUME OF AIR AT A LOWER AIR PRESSURE.
THIS MEANS YOU HAVE LARGER CIRCUMFRENCE HOSES AND THE SPRAYGUN IS LARGER INTERNALLY FOR THE AIR FLOW.
SO,A SIMILIAR AMOUNT OR AIR WILL STILL COME THROUGH THE GUN BUT AT A LOWER PRESSURE ,CREATING LESS OVERSPRAY
THEREFORE MORE PAINT DIRECTLY ON THE JOB AND A PAINT SAVING
yesnod.gif

rex

Hey man what's going on?Are you guys required to use HVLP or is it still lenient?I've used them for base and sealer,but I haven't seen too many have really good results on high solids clear.Could be gun setup and I haven't played played around since they were someone elses guns,but I must say they are sweet for base.I remember being a hoser when the high solid stuff started and jerked around with my MBC,but when I got my best finish I ended up with pretty much the hoser setup.Got some beautiful finishes,but I got tired of walking the solvent pop line.I won't even attempt the new thicker stuff out of it.There is something to the hoser approach I must regretably say.It's kind of funny,I(as a bodyman) painted my buddy's wife's car(red 93 mustang) about 5 years ago with PPG 2001 and the MBC,and he still swears it's a better finish than the one the painter at work did 3 years ago on his car (same red 89 Mustang) the 'technically correct' way.

ezrider

Rex, here in CT we are required to use HVLP equipment and it hasn't been the same sence we wre required to change over
mad.gif

T

tooter

cars have automatic transmisons now,yall must not doing somthing right gravity feed is the way to go especialy with the gun liners spray up down side any way u want to not nocking the old siphon cups but u wast alot of material gab a devilbas gti or a sata jet 95 and you will love it

S

shaunboy

IN NEW ZEALAND WE ARENT REQUIRED AS YET BUT WE ARE GOING THAT WAY SOON.THIS COUNTRY IS STRONG ON ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES.
I HAVE USED GRAVITY FED HVLP FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW AND HAVE BECOME SO USED TO IT THAT WHEN I RARELY PICK UP A CONVENTIONAL GUN IT SEEMS TO HIGH IN PRESSURE ,[ONLY BECAUSE IM NOT USED TO IT].
BUT I DO REMEMBER WHEN WE FIRST CHANGED TO HVLP WE DIDNT LIKE IT BUT IT DIDNT TAKE LONG TO GET THE HANG OF.
MAYBE FOR ME AS A SMASH REPAIRER THE I JUST FIND HVLP EASIER TO MATCH THE REST OF THE VEHICLE FINISH THAT IS FACTORY HVLP.
tongue.gif

DEVILBISS GTI IS MY FAVORITE

T

Tibbo

HVLP guns work fine, but you just can't plug them in and pull the trigger. They need setting up properly. For Devilbiss GTI and Sata NR 2000 gravity guns, the air pressure going in the gun should be 2 bar (28psi) which should give 0.7 bar (10psi) at the aircap. An air regulator at the gun is almost essential. If you can borrow an aircap pressure gauge from your local gun supplier, you can check the air cap pressure accurately.
If the air pressure is too high you just have a poor conventional spraygun. If the pressure is too low the gun will not atomise the paint effectively and will result in a heavy peel finish.
I have also found thru' experience the distance from the substrate should be a little closer than a conventional spraygun. Also increase the pass overlap from 50-60% to 60-70% but compensate by speeding up slightly.
I have also replaced the 1.4 fluid tip with a 1.3 the results were much better.
By the way, HVLP guns consume approx 50% more air than conventional guns and should be supplied by minimum 8mm ID hoses and big bore couplings. If you use small diameter hoses it starves the gun of air. Result - peel.
Keep trying with HVLP!! the material saving is well worth the effort.

C

Coombsy

I couldn't get a grip on HVLP when painting Hot Rods I still use Jet 90 it's the best. Got best paint 2001 top per 48 Rod due to paint. Still can,t get an off the gun finish with ethier HVLP or Jet 90 like the yaks do.
HVLP you need to spray close and fast how dose your arm fell after spraying a truck cab shaunboy?
2idea.gif

Coombsy
Tibbo your right but the HVLP system starts at the compressor all conections should be 8mm +for it to be effective.

S

shaunboy

my arm feels alright i guess .
only because i have gotten so used to it.
ps
good to see another kiwi here!!!!!!!!!
Coomsby
bigokay.gif
bigokay.gif
bigokay.gif

C

Coombsy

Yea back at ya Shaunboy
I was territory manager BOP for PPG 9 years just gave up to run my own business but painting still has a strong interest.
Where are you painting
confused.gif

Have you ventured into custom painting or Hot Rods?
This is a great site to chat with other around the world
Cool ah
sunglass.gif

F

flowb417

If you guys want an HVLP that is wort a crap, then buy an ACCUSPRAY Isaac hs PRESSURISED gun. This baby lays it on like glass...well I lay it on like glass with this gun. I bought mine for 375.00 roughly from compliantspraysystems.com I used to use binks model 7bc's siphon feeds. This by far is the best gun available. In my opinion