HVLP Turbine or Compressor

60Vette

The more that I study the intricacies of painting fiberglass, the more confused that I get. I am now attempting to understand which method is better for painting fiberglass, turbine or compressor. I have been told and read that if I use a compressor, that the compressor must deliver a minimum of 15 cfm at 40psi. A compressor that produces that airflow seems to cost a minimum of $800-$900.

I have found turbine systems that supposedly deliver a good quantity of paint at 4psi and are considerably less expensive.

I am only going to paint one car and probably some parts from time to time.

Would someone please tell what I need before I spend a lot of money unneccessarily?

Thank you.

nzgrip

It would come down to the air consumption of the gun you use, check the specs for your gun then you'll know how big a compressor you will need.

nzgrip

Don't know much about the turbine systems but if you get one all you'll be doing with it is spraying, with a compressor you can spray, use air tools, blow things down, pump up your tyres etc etc. I'd go with the compressor personally.

60Vette

I already have a compressor, but I am concerned that it does not put out the appropriate cfm. The compressors that do put out the appropriate flow are very expensive. The turbine systems seem to accomplish that at a much lower cost.

I do not know anything about turbine systems and am trying to determine if that system is a viable alternative for someone like me, who will probably only paint a few times a year.

tman

GO TURBINE! I have a paint booth with a 60 gal, 2 stage compressor, it cost about $1600, great for anything I need air for, but for a lot of spraying, I have to deal with moisture in the air, so the water removal system cost $2000.
Then I researched the turbin systems, and bought one of the top line, it also supplies fresh breathable air to my paint suit. This is without a doubt, THE WAY TO GO. No moisture problems, the special gun has an air tip and cap for any paint / clear combo out there. Perfect clearcoat every time, no more oragne peel, not worrying about the correct air pressure, or fluid control. If you can afford a good set up, it will make you want to paint more than just one car.

hpw1

The more that I study the intricacies of painting fiberglass, the more confused that I get. I am now attempting to understand which method is better for painting fiberglass, turbine or compressor. I have been told and read that if I use a compressor, that the compressor must deliver a minimum of 15 cfm at 40psi. A compressor that produces that airflow seems to cost a minimum of $800-$900.

I have found turbine systems that supposedly deliver a good quantity of paint at 4psi and are considerably less expensive.

I am only going to paint one car and probably some parts from time to time.

Would someone please tell what I need before I spend a lot of money unneccessarily?

Thank you.

You said you are going to paint 1 car? I know I will get some laughs but I have the HVLP turbine from Harbor Freight and the thing lays an awesome finish down. I'm going to try and post a youtube video of me using it today and you can see the results. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677. If you have the money to spend (I didn't so that is why I got it) go ahead and invest in a 300-500 system. You don't have to worry with moisture,oil or cfm as it is a self contained unit.

edited to add, here is 10pages of posts on this system http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174540

Last edited: