How Long?

TINMAN

HI GUYS!! HOW LONG CAN YOU LET A TANK SET BEFORE YOU CLEAR IT ,ITS ALL FLAMED CLEARED AND WET SANDED . I WOULD LIKE TO ADD A LITTLE COLOR TO THE TIPS THEN SHOOT MY LAST CLEAR COAT.. SO FAR IM HAPPY WITH THE WAY IT LOOKS BUT CANT GET BACK TO IT TILL THE WEEKEND.. ALL INPUT WILL BE A BIG HELP , ALSO WOULD LIKE TO OUT LINE IT WITH SOME ONESHOT STRIPE PAINT CAN YOU CLEAR OVER THAT? ,THANKS VINCE :think1:

xTuTx

YOu can re-clear at any time, but if you have already wet(color) sanded go back over the tank and re-sand it with 800g to get good mechanical bond, then add your color to the tips you mentioned, and then re-clear. I always heard that you can not clear over One Shot, but there are some prods. from HOK that I know you can. I believe you add a catalyst to them.

Burnt

I have cleared over 1-Shot many times. What I do is let it set up for a day or two, then shoot a couple very light coats of clear to seal it and then clear a ususal.

JohnPSW

I was just looking at some product data sheets for a couple of basecoats. Each indicated they should be clearcoated within 7 days, or you should remove the basecoat and start over.

The key to using any paint product, and having it perform as the paint manufacturer indicates, is to follow the product data sheet.

You can, and many painters (especially custom painters), do things contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations. Some times it all works out fine. Some times it turns into a disaster. Some times it looks like it worked out fine, then the clear starts peeling 6 months later. ... Depending on the project, you may or may not be willing to take a risk on having it blow up.