How do I Remove The Harley Fuel Tank Decals

ezrider

everytrhing you want to remove is under the clear coat. so you will need to sand the decals off(80 grit on a DA sander works fine for me). feather all of youf edges (180 grit on the DA) prime at least the sides of you tank or the whole thing. i can usally get away with priming just the sides. you dont have to worry too much about the stripes becouse they are under the clear and with your priming and sanding it wont affect your paint job.be sure to block sand the sides you have primed or you will get ripples in your paint. make sure to do all of your final sanding with 400 grit, wet works better including your block sanding. then you can start your refinishing process. Good luck

R

Ray Galetti

I am ready to begin the flame work on my Harley fuel tank. The tank has the typical Harley decal on the sides that are cleared over. There are also two pin stripes painted on the tank. For the pin stripes I thought I might scuff some of the clear off, then try some thinner to remove the pin stripes. I also thought about heating the decals off. What do you all think?

R

Ray Galetti

Joe,
Thank you once again for the information. Last evening I decided to sand a little of the clear coat off of the decal area, I then took a heat gun and softened the decal enough to peal it off. I now have a large transition where the decal was and where the clear coat ended, so I will take your advise on sanding, priming and painting.
Thanks once again.

Ray